Feeding Bucky

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madfarmer, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

I have a young buck on lease. Of course, his mind is only on ONE thing, and it ain't food. He nibbles a few pellets, & a mouthful of hay now & then, but I don't want him to be gaunt as a gutted snow-bird when he goes home. Is this completely normal, or is there any way to get a few more groceries in him?

Tom

2. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

For some bucks this is normal. Others eat pretty well no matter what. If it were me, I'd talk to the folks you leased him from and tell them what you're seeing and ask for their suggestions. I'm certain they'd want to know, and they probably have suggestions as to what sorts of treats might entice him to eat more. Mine do seem to eat better if I hang out with them for a bit after feeding. (Just having a girl of any species around?! :) )

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A young buck like that isn't going to do much but nibble. You expect bucks to loose some weight on lease. I know the folks who use my bucks, so know if I need to send food with them that I only allow my bucks to eat (I don't let mine eat grain ie: milkstand type grain, they eat a meat goat pellet that contains ammonium chloride so they don't get stones and alfalfa pellets. I would assume, knowing the owner that he is used to that also. But hay and browse (under the snow :) is wonderful for him and is likely a nice treat. Vicki

4. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

He's been much better the last day or so. Part of it was probably being homesick, and like all teen-age boys, a new girlfriend or two can spoil the appetite ;)

Tom