Feeding Barley Hulls, wheat hulls etc

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I just met a breeder who supplements his alf alfa hay with a multigrain pellet that he gets from a mill not far from me. The pellets are made from the Barley Hulls, wheat hulls that are cleaned from the grain before it is packaged for human consumption. The protien analysis is a minimum of 11% which seems low, however the cost is 1/4 the cost of cob.

Could I (1) feed it as he does as a supplement to his goats? (2) Add Whole oats and BOSS and use as the grain for my milking does?

Or just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I think that would be an excellent product to extend roughage, make lots of butterfat etc..in conjunction with alfalfa hay. Being low in protein you would want to know the protein of the alfalfa, and maybe supplement it with another protein source. I had excellent results feeding 50/50 50% cottonseed meal and 50% cottonseed hulls, before I found out the truth about how cotton is grown. Make all changes slowly and keep track of growth, milk, etc....whatever is important to your herd. Vicki

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Vicki

I am feeding between 16-18% protien alf alfa. What is the optimal range I should be looking at?

4. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Could I use this for my "milkstand grain" adding whole oats boss and say soybeans?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

16 to 17% So very basically, not taking into account digestability..you want your grain as high as your alfalfa for best production. Sara with her high protein alfalfa can feed just oats, with only 17% alfalfa pellets here I have to feed a soy product. Now for just milkers, who milk normal, no record breakers, just oats is fine. Take your goals into consideration. I never fed alot of protein until this year, and I do now agree it makes more mlk. I wish my protein can come from alfalfa instead of soy, but we can't do it consistantly, so I prefer to not change the diet. Vicki