Feeding, $$$ and LGDs

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Oct 1, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Ok, we are still thinking about LGDs.
    What do you feed? a dry dog food or javascript:void(0); :/BARF or combo?
    How much does it cost per dog per month?
    Any difference in feed for an Anatolian versus Pyrenees?

PS. I just looked up Anatolian Shepherd Dogs and they are beautiful! I'm in love. The pyrenees are so idyllic out in the pasture and I've always wanted a pair, but close up there's all that hair-- shedding, fleas, and matted coats.... :laughcry

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We feed a combo of BARF and kibble (Kirkland Signature Lamb and Rice).

The Pyrenees are not big eaters, especially once they are 14-18 months old.

Pyrenees (well-bred, as the coat is part of the package) have self-cleaning coats and don't require much grooming. We brush them 2 X a month in the Spring to help them blow their coat and maybe once a month the rest of the time - helps to check on overall condition and to show them off a bit :).

No fleas here, so wouldn't know. Ours never seem to get ticks either.

Not sure about cost - I just feed them and know that they more than earn their keep. Just the cost of doing business for us. Of course, the sale of one puppy pays for a lot of kibble, so our dogs pay their way twice. (or thrice? ) :)

Whichever you choose, get a well-bred dog from reputable breeders (sounds like goats, doesn't it?) They should give some support regarding feeding/training/etc. Of course you will pay a little more up front, but then, just like goats, you get what you pay for.

Camille

3. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Have you tried a pyrenees or anatolian rescue? The reason I ask is because they can get very cheap dog/cat food. I get 50 lbs. of science diet from the rescue person I know and it cost me less than the 25lb bag of Iams at Wal-Mart.

The rescue will also match up the dog with the animals you have on your place. When the time comes for us to get another LGD, I will go through them. I like the idea that they will already protect goats, no puppy stage, won't eat my chickens, and are fixed!!!

Wendy

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Really look into feeding large breeds raw. If you overfeed calcium you can bring on hip problems from overgrowth in fact there is a growing number who believe most hip problems are nutritional. I think pups are much better off on a good quality puppy food until well grown and then moved to raw after you have done your homework...just like goats, you feed raw meaty bones for the teeth, chicken for protein and fat and veggies and organ meat at least once a week...etc. The cost goes up of each thing you feed because you feed so much per pound.

One ridge back here eats one leg and thigh combo in the evening. 50 cents per pound. In the am they get and egg, some oil, their kelp and vitamins, in a veggy meat ball. Once a week we do organ meat. Raw meaty bones at least once a week. The nice thing about raw is that on a well ran farm you can supply nearly everything but vitmains and adatives from your farm and a freezer. Plus tossing them food that they eat immediatly stops, flies, ants and fighting over food with the goats and other dogs. Vicki

5. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

That is interesting on the hip problems. My sisters dog has serious hip problems. Will have to research this further. Are you saying a leg and thigh combo of a chicken, cow, goat? What is a veggy meat ball?

Wendy

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

A few years back, We had a dog attack and lost 8 reg. Boers,that was $$$$ ,their faces were ripped of and I couldn't tell which goat's they were,others were just ran to death and bitten ,these were does that were heavy bred and now they were scattered around the pasture and they still had one doe down and she was screaming and I hollered and ran for the gun as the dogs continued their kill , DH shot at one and they all ran and then I begged him to shoot the screaming doe :down ,This was a horrible horrible picture and something I can never forget or want to ever go thru again ,we bought and tried them , but a donkey or donkeys couldn't hold off a pack (6-8 dog's) so my son took the donkeys to sale barn and he then went and brought back 2 LGD grown dogs and both were females, he told me to watch the dogs as the goats went NUTS when they saw those dogs and we separated the dogs from the goats ,anyway as soon as son left to go get gkids from school , one dang dog jumped the fence and the other dog dug (FAST) and both were in with the goats and the goats were crazy and ran to me anyway the dog's and the goats become friends and the dogs are FABOLUS ! I have never saw dog's work the goats and I have learned a lot watching those dog's lead them out to pasture and bring the goats home in afternoon, the dogs eat the afterbirth and clean the kid's ,and keep those lil butt's clean , nothing get into our pasture ! All the snakes,skunks,possums,squirrels,coons and buzzards are gone and NO dogs ! :nooo heck our dog's are after the birds in the air .

Dog food cost $$$ - We have 3 grown Pyrenees females ,we lost the older female this summer to heat stroke ,so now we have the original female that's now spayed and 2 grown female puppies that she had from our Anatolian male before he got ran over , anyway I buy 50 LB. of the meat flavor dry bag of Alpo because it's made in America for $20.00 at Petsmart in Tyler and I feed them every other day as if I feed everyday they dont eat it all and I feed them outside from the goats as the goats will take the dog food away from the dogs. I feed them a good 8C. each and I do add warm water with bacon grease or goat milk/whey and most times scraps with the dog food. The dog's go under the fence and come and go on their own to the goat pasture areas , the dogs split up and each dog takes a group of goats to guard ,since the dog's can come and go as they please ,I do have another bowl that I put dry food in if they get hungry before it's time to feed them.... the food will last about 3-4 weeks depending on how much scraps I add to the dry food feedings.
    I buy BioSpot for large dogs for flea control as we are loaded with sand fleas , I try to get that for about $10.00 ,it has 3 meds so it lasts a month , most of their fur sheds off . I buy 1 lb. of cheap hamburger meat or ground chicken for worming with 1cc. of Ivermectin (for grown big dog's) for worm and heart worm control , I also give them Safeguard for Tapeworm control .... my last thoughts are

A good guard dog is worth every penny for their upkeep, I dont worry about the goats when I am gone and they are a LOT cheaper than a security guard to keep watch over them !! Strangers wont get out of their car's and we have had NO goat loss and have not even saw a strange dog and the varmits are also gone , I couldn't ask for anything else !! I love these intelligent beautiful,graceful and meek to me dogs !!
    (and I am not a dog person :blush)

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

The older Pyrenees that died from heat stroke had a bad hip and had trouble getting up , however I bought Glucosamine 1,500 mg / 1,500 mg MSM pill in it at Sam's and she got 1 pill a day in a cheap wiener per day ,she loved her wiener ! She could run and was totally fine but just dont miss a pill or she would be limping .

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah Wendy my dogs eats a leg thigh combo of a cow :) Chicken :) I also use necks or wings or turkey wings, trying to keep the price per pound under 50cents.

I grind up any meat I have, skin etc. ( we are butchering two pigs and will be saving all the insides for grinding) then I cook the large bag of veggies frozen at wallmart, and make meatballs out of the two with egg, vitmains, kelp etc. I freeze them on a cookie sheet and then pop them into ziplocks. I defrost them in the fridge for the whole week. Once of those days I add some organ meat to the ball (this year I will just be feeding a weaned bunny on that day since they will eat the whole thing organ meat and all this is going to be a big savings), once a month wormings or their heart worm ivermectin. Both girls fetch really well, my husband male will not catch food, he wants it to fall down then he sniffs and eats it. Vicki

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"my husband male will not catch food, he wants it to fall down then he sniffs and eats it."

I assume that you mean your husband's male dog, noty your male husband that wants his food to fall down and be sniffed LOL

10. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thanks Vicki! That sounds much easier than what I had origianlly thought when reading your post. I'm not big on cutting up all those veggies, but letting wal-mart do it is splendid.

Wendy

11. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I'm really new to this and haven't ventured into the fancy feeding program yet. :) But, my GPs get the Sam's Club generic of Purina's Green bag of dog chow. (I fed name brand until prices sky-rocketed) It's $17.99 a 50 lb. bag, and 2 bags last me a month for 2 dogs. I might have to pick up an extra bag in there, but usually not. I feed 3 quarts in the morning and 3 quarts in the evening. Some times they don't eat all I feed, and I assume it's b/c they cought something fresh... We don't see any more racoons, groundhogs, squirrels, or buzzards.

I keep a water trough outside the pen and they go out and clean up in that and cool off in it in the summer as well. When I empty and clean water buckets and give the goats fresh water, the old water goes in the trough. Once, I took the trough away b/c I was afraid of the goats drinking the dirty water--dog got a hot spot. So, I gave them their trough, but outside the fence where they can get it, but the goats can't. They get dirty, but they clean themselves off amazingly well. Far more low-maintenance than they appear on first glance. (I once had a chow-mix with long hair, and she was NOT low maintenance!)

They get Frontline & Sentinel or Interceptor once a month for fleas, ticks, worms, & such. Right now I'm still buying that from the vet, but in the spring will switch to a cheaper source.

For those of you who feed raw, do you worry about chicken bones? And what is BARF?

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Raw bones are fine.

BARF: Bones And Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food

Sara

13. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

We feed raw as well. In the AM they get egg and some of the time a very small amount of dog food. Or maybe a chicken neck or Turkey neck or............ At night they get chicken or turkey or goat and some of the time beef, but it is so hard to get at a good price.

We own 3 labs and two ridgebacks. Feeding five dogs can be hard on the pocket book, but not much will come on our land. They have caught rabbits and moles other things. With the addition of our male Ridgeback we hope to recover all the cost by breeding him to our female ridgeback.

Troy

14. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

So the matted hair and great hunks of shed hair everywhere (year round) on a Pyrenees is a sign of poor nutrition? Probably makes the flea problem even worse too. Would make sense in the case I'm thinking of...
    BTW dh used to work at a shop were paint was going down the drain from rinsing equipment. The septic got pumped regularly and went into DOGFOOD.

15. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Uhh... okay, that was GROSS! So maybe I'll check w/the local processing plant and see if I can get some of that BARF. :) I hear they just throw away stuff like liver and whatnot b/c nobody wants to eat it.

16. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

My stomach just flipped when I read this post! barf!
    1st the septic tank matterial being use in dogfood and paint.
    That is just not right, pure cruelty to animals for having human waste in our pet's food.
    Do you know what brand of dog food?

I use Frontline Plus for Flea & Tick control on my Boxer. It is $$$ but works great! He is outside most of the year then in the hard cold he stays in the house at night and the warm barn in day. We do have a few weeks of 20 degree weather but that is it for here.
    I worm him monthly with Ivermec.

I don't have a LGD but our Boxer does a good job of keeping strangers, kritters and other dogs off our place.

He is great with my children too!

17. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have 100lbs of dog...an 80lb American Pit Bull Terrier and a 20lb Rat Terrier. I feed Nutro Max Adult (hard to find food without sunflower oil, which the APBT is allergic to) I feed 2.5 cups am and 2.5 cups pm. (APBT 2 cups, Rattie .5 cup) They also get apple cider vinegar, a raw egg, garlic, kelp, vitamin C, bone meal, and a few other vitamin/mineral related additives (w/out my recipe can't remember them all of the top of my head) Haven't had a flea and tick problem and they are outside all the time. They are on heartguard generic for now until I run out then switching to Ivermectin. Again not LGD, but they do keep strangers and critters at bay, besides my mousing CHICKEN!

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Something to note... LGD's are way different than 'regular' dogs. Especially in regards to food. Generally speaking, they have lower metabolisms and therefore tend to eat less. So don't compare the food intake of what is being posted to that of a LGD.

Sara

19. chewie

chewie New Member

i'd like to hear more on how much/type of ivermectin you can give a dog.

20. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I give 1cc. per 100+ pound LGD Pyrenees dog 1x month , I make a big egg size meat ball with a chunk of bread inside the ball,then draw out 1cc and squirt it inside the ball and let the bread soak it up or you can make 2 balls with 1/2 cc each in it so it wont leak out.
    I avoid getting the wormer on the outside of the ball because Ivermectin taste bad.

My Pyrenees is the only dogs I have gave the Ivermectin too,so I dont know about other breeds .