Feeding Alfalfa To Bucks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I have two bucks and a wether here. Is it ok to give them alfalfa pellets? They also get BOSS, Kelp and 1/2 cup of oats twice a day. One buck gets 2 quarts of alfalfa a day and the other buck and wether get 2 quarts of alfalfa a day between them.

Wendy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

my bucks only get alfalfa pellets and grass hay unless working (rutt) then and only then get grain of any kind. be sure and keep AC on hand when your feeding grain.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin This is a note that Vicki sent me at one time.....hope this helps also;

Whim..you want more calcium in the diet of all your goats than phosphrous. So grain, grass hay, and all pasture grass and weeds and browse is phosphrous...so the buck needs to eat twice as much alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets or lepesidea on pasture or clover than they eat grass hay, grain or psature.

I do this by giving them about 3 pounds each of alfalfapellets each day and about the same in their meat goat pellets (only fed right before, during and after rut to get wieght back on) then it's back to the 3 pouns of alfalfa pellets each day and nothing else but minerals, grass hay (which they rarely eat) and the woods. This is the older bucks....younger guys are like doe kids and get their grain with AC in it until they are through breeding the first year and are well grown. Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep that is what I do same as Vicki Thanks Whim for posting that.

5. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Yes the one buck has been in rutt. ( For now he lives with the girls) He went way down hill so I started feeding him 1/2 cup oats twice a day with his BOSS. He wasn't touching his grass hay at all so that is when I started feeding him alfalfa pellets also. He is putting on a bit of weight again.

The other buck and wether are still under one (1) year of age so I thought they should have some oats (1/2) cup also with their BOSS and I started giving them alfalfa pellets to.

So when should I take the buck in rutt off the grain and should I take the other two off the grain and just give them the BOSS and alfalfa pellets.

Thanks Sondra and Whimm.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Young ones should be getting grain that has AC in it or at least on hand until thru with their rutt and have put on their necessary weight. Old buck same until he is in condition. add some beet pulp to their diet gradually and you should see better weight gain.

7. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

What is AC? :blush

Wendy

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Amonium Cloride it is for Urinary Calc and when feeding grain you are uping the chances of getting it.
    most meat goat pellets have AC in them so no worry.l