Feed Rations

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by debrad636, Aug 2, 2008.

1. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

I haven't heard of BOSS. Is it like dairy cattle supplement? Also, why are so many goat people so against molasses in goat ration? We are new to feeding the girls, so any help would be great. We just started getting our girls last fall. Used to have milk goats 10 years ago. Things sure have changed alot.Is it true, that we don't need as much protein, as we do calcium? I guess goats are alot like people, some are easy keepers, some eat alot and not gain. I need to stop thinking to feed these girls like I do my performance horses.

Thanks Deb

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds
    Molasses can cause many things like bad tasting milk from acidosis but down here in the south MOLD MOLD MOLD. and yes milking goats need more calcium the protein is just for energy

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Goats do not need molasses in their diets. In addition to what Sondra mentioned, molasses is used to cover up dust, mold, etc. in feeds that would otherwise be unpalatable. It is also used as a binder, holding all those grains, dusts, floor sweepings, etc. together so they do not seperate out.
    Anita

4. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

There is alot of smaller particles in the bottom the feeders, some of the girls even lick that up, some don't.
    Also, don't the kids need more protein for growth?
    Thanks Deb

5. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Deb,
    Yes, younger animals need more protein and will utilize it for proper growth. Protein is not energy, that is what Carbohydrates are for. Think of Protein and the amino acids that make it up as the building blocks of keeping the tissues of the body at their optimum levels. When protein is limited many of the other functions such as rumen flora development and milk production becomes supressed. Even animals that are fed adequate energy will lose condition if the protein is too low. This is taken form the Merck Vet Manual 5th ed. So protein is definitely needed in the ration
    We do feed molasses in our ration, which we get from a company that has strict grain standards and have never had a problem with it being used to cover up poor grain.
    Tim

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

For many of us molasses is a No-No because of the extra iron and that binds with the copper, leading to copper deficiency problems.

Alfalfa and alfalfa pellets is your protein.

Grains are your carbohydrates.

Grass hays are roughage and some protein, but sometimes as low as your grains. To get good growth and lots of milk = alfalfa.

Camille
    P.S. We do put a little sweet pellet into our grain mix. Keeps the girls from getting bored with it. Probably about 1% of their grain mixture (3 % for Titania the spoiled queen). Kind of like putting chocolate chips in oatmeal cookies. :)

7. Everyone is going to have their own way of feeding.

My milking does get 5lbs alfalfa pellets morning and night with free choice grass hay and goat mineral. They get grain, that I mix myself, on the milk stand morning and night when I milk.

My two growing boys are getting alfalfa hay and grain morning and night. They are just finishing off the alfalfa hay. Once it's gone they'll be on grass hay like the girls. I am not happy with the quality of alfalfa hay around here. If my uncle has hay availabe I may get some bales off of him just for my milkers. Depends. :)

I top dress BOSS on the grain as needed.