Feed questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dover Farms, May 25, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

We are trying to find a new feed. We just aren't happy with what we are feeding....and neither are some of the does! In our feed we have oats, whole corn, calf manna, and BOSS...can't remember what the recipie is...I'll get it later. I have a milking yearling that doesn't like the whole corn...she's a real brat about it, too. So, next time we mix feed we will put cracked corn, which we did have before, but it was dusty and they didn't really care for that either(I can't win!! :shrug ). Our girls also don't like a lot of pellets...if there is too many they don't eat. We have our own alfalfa hay field. It's pure alfalfa, except for a few grassy bales here and there. And they get free choice minerals.

My girls have good weight on them, but their productiong isn't what I think it should be. Granted my two milkers are FF's...Mom's is a 2nd freshener. My 2 yr. old gives about 6 - 6 1/2lbs. and my yearling gives about 5 1/2 - 6lbs. Their production is consistant though.

What do you feed? We thought about beet pulp...but in our book it looks like it's just a filler. Although, on here I read otherwise and I know a breeder friend of ours uses beet pulp and all of her goats look great. With our alfalfa hay....would adding alfalfa pellets be too much?

:whatdoyouthink

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

If they are already eating alfalfa hay as you say... I do not personally see any reason to add A. Pellets as well. It would not hurt though as I believe they do not waste pellets, and there is some waste for hay.

I feed, grass hay and then my grain mix is as follows:

a.pellets
    16% sheep/goat grain
    boss
    calf manna

With more A. Pellets in the community bowl. And free choice minerals.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I quit using corn in my feed a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. I bought beet pulp for a doe who wasn't eating (another story) and am now feeding it to an underweight buck, but the rest (milkers on the milkstand) just get a mix of oats & barley. I will supplement my FF's with a bit of CalfMana, but even just that I don't have a skinny goat here. :sigh They all get free choice A.Pellets, Sudan hay, minerals and I'm a stickler abt clean water. ;)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would never feed whole corn. There is never a guarantee on quality with corn. I do right now have the tiniest bit of corn in my mix because it's a horse mix and cheaper than even whole oats because it is purchased in huge bulk, but normally I don't feed corn. I used to feed flaked corn, because once again it was super clean and a 'horse' source. Horse sorces for my area are key because like Kaye says, nobody is going to put anything in a sack and kill a very expensive horse (mostly race horses around me). Whole corn is very hard on molars and you will have gummers before they are old.

With your own alfalfa hay not really sure why you are feeding pellets, especially mixed into your milkstand grain...once again mine does have a tiny alfalfa in it, but the girls don't eat it, they eat around them on the milkstand :) If I could get or keep excellent alfalfa I wouldn't feed alfalfa pellets.

Milk is also genetic, once you have your does on an excellent diet, are consistant about their milking than you have to conceed that your milkers are just not genetically superior. So then look at your bloodline and add some really milking Nubians....I can privately of course tell you some bloodlines that don't milk for beans :)

Visiting your website, you definetly will have more milk in your herd next year as your freshen daughters out of your new buck! Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am using whole oats 100lb
    100lb steamed rolled barley
    25 lb cracked corn
    25lb BOSS (or tbl spoon of sunflower oil as a top dress)
    20lb beet pulp dry
    and am now top dressing with 1/8 to 1/4 c calf manna
    the girls get 1 full scoop which here = lb morning and evening on the milk stand only
    Those that are fast eaters get some alfalfa pellets in their ratio so they don't eat as fast.

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Thanks for the replies and recipies!

Vicki, we aren't feeding alfalfa pellets. I just asked because I seen a post on here saying that the milk production was better on alfalfa pellets vs. alfalfa hay. I didn't really think we would need it with our hay...just thought I would ask. :): And this is the first time we used whole corn...usually it is cracked....but last time like I said it was dusty.

I have also thought about the milk production being genetic, though I thought the bloodlines these does have were decent milking lines.

Which new buck are you talking about...the Hoanbu kid or the Quarter Mile kid?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Both of the sire sides of the family have milk. You would have to research the dam side of their paperwork. But certainly better than the pedigrees of your does, milk isn't the first thing you think about with them...powerful, wide, deep bodied does are your first thought. Vicki

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Thanks Vicki!

Anybody else? What's your feed recipe?