Feed question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

This might be a dumb question but I've never bought feed at the feed store that wasn't already pre-mixed/pre-packaged. I'd love to have the store mix up a batch of feed for me with oats, barley, corn, etc but how large of a batch do you have to get? Can I have them only mix up 200 pounds and do they put it in bags or what??

2. coso

coso Guest

Depends on the feed store. I've heard people getting as little as 500 lb done. Most of the time you have to buy a ton at a time around here.

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

OK---so if I get a ton, how would it come packaged? Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather sound stupid here than on the phone with the feed store (dont' know why...) :blush2

4. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

When I get mine mixed it comes in bags I pay for the 1st time and care them back each time. I can get as little as 500lb at a time and they put 50 in each bag. You can check with your feed store and see if any one gets the same mix if allot of people get it they may keep some on hand ours dose.

Deana

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Why not just mix yourself? When mixing a feed you are always going to get the mill guys input. And the act of mixing is going to dust up your products, which then they will want to add oil or molassas...and then it starts...why not add this or that or minerals or???? Vicki

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Way back when, I was into horses just a tad.......there was a small feed mill located about 20 miles from me...nothing fancy I might add. They had a bagger/mixer and all, so about all I had to do was tell them how much percentage of corn, oats, whatever, that I wanted in my feed. I could get it dry, or let them throw the molassis to it.
    Don't remember a minimum amount, but bet there probably was........The smallest that I remember buying was 20 bags at a time.

If where you buy feed doesn't have a mixer and bagger, then you most likely are gonna have to buy your grains in drums/bags or such.....and then mix it up yourself........

7. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

So what do you mix it in?? All I have now is just metal garbage cans that I store grain in but I don't think those would be big enough.

8. lyceum

lyceum New Member

We mix ours in metal garbage cans. I mix feed everyday. It works really well. We have tried having the feed mill mix it for us, but like Vicki said, the feed mill guy will want to give his input and put what he thinks you need in it. Much cheaper to mix it yourself. The mill will charge you to bag it as well.

Carisa

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We mix and store feed in chest freezers. You can pick them up for free and if the gasket is good, they are great for keeping feed fresh and bugs out. We mix 300# at a time and when using just grains it is very easy to mix. I have a little doggie pooper scooper that has metal forks and it works great for mixing.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And I am as low tech as it gets. 3 trash cans, one with oats, one with soybean meal and the other with rice bran. Scoops in each that weigh exactly the pounds I want, and a bucket in my hand :) Vicki

11. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

oh Vicki you can't get any simpler than that :rofl

Sheryl

12. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

We got a cheap Cement mixer from Harbor Freights and used to mix in that and then dump into a trash can. It was kinda awkward but worked.. We now buy premixed bags and have used the cement mixer for cement hahahah. but it worked for us until I found a feed that I liked in bags. and I dont remember it causing alot of dust but cant really remember .. I would try to get a new or very clean one if you choose to buy used... Cement can be nasty stuff..

Melissa

13. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Our feed mill mixes ours. We feed our heifer feed to our goats. We have two different batch size depending ont he truck I am using and how many containers are still working (those plastic trash can shatter easily in the winter when you boot them). Our batch sizes are either 650 or 965. Around those numbers in any case. Since our heifer feed mix has been the same for a couple of decades the feed guys don't offer up any suggestions..lol
    The 900+ pound mix comes in about 14 bags that weigh around 60-80 pounds each. I requested sometime last year that they stop giving me the 100 pound sacks and go to only the smaller sacks. I'm sorry, I can't heft a 100 pound fully filled sack of feed over uneven ground with cow patties in the way and over logs and such from the truck to my feed room..lol My ankles just aren't that sturdy and my back is worse.
    I get feed about every week and a half with the large load and every week with the smaller load. I usually end up loading it myself since I rarely get to the mill before it closes. They set our feed out on the dock if we request it..lol

I mix up the up close and lactating doe ration in the barn. They get Alfalfa pellets mixed with their grain ration. I was using BOSS last year but just haven't done it this year and do not see a huge difference. I also used to mix in 16% dairy (our heifer feed is around 14-15%) last year, only does that are being milked for human consumption get that. I have a few different containers and just mix each does feed ration in her bowl. Doing that for 20 does currently. The other 51 does/doelings are being fed in groups.

14. Doc

Doc New Member

Like Vicki, I keep my feeds separate and custom mix for different goats. I am limited to how much I can store at a time as the wet climate causes mold to grow quickly. I did buy a entire ton of bagged alfalfa pellets in November, but had to store them in my spare bedroom (and the entire house still has a lingering odor or alfalfa). I don't purchase more than I can use up in 10 days, if I get a great deal, I have to store it in the house.

15. haeema

haeema New Member

My niece has purchased several 50 gallon drums that say "chocolate icing" and we put our feed in there. They are air tight and were used in food processing. They are only $15 each and they hold 300# of feed. Not to mention they fit very well in the milk room!

16. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I'd constantly be in the mood for cake if I had huge frosting drums sitting around---even if they are full of feed! :laughcry

17. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Sometimes good quality feed smells good enough for me to eat. I think the frosting drums might push me over to actually trying it! :crazy

18. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I just started havign amix done. Our mill (and every other one Ive ever used) requires 1/2 ton minimum. Ours doesnt charge for the bags (50 lb bags), just the feed ingredients, no change for the mixing. No hassle at all from the guys there,and they actually said it was a nice mix, and thought it was great for goats and the horses, and the cows get an occasional coffee can full to split as a treat between the two of them. My guess is that the reaction as well as the amt you need at a time is dependant on the mill policy.
    I'd like to put it trough a calculator, and checka dn make sure the mis is good on everything, but havnet doen that yet and will before I reorder. I dont have the list in front of me to make sure, but the best I recall is
    50 lbs BOSS
    50 lbs Beet pulp
    150 lbs Alfalfa pellets
    300 lbs corn
    300 lbs oats
    150 lbs cottonseed ( I dont like feeding soy, so I used this instead to up the protein) .

I feed this with a good mixed grass hay thats about 50% legume, mostly sweet clover with a little vetch. I do feed more grain than Vicki does, since almost all my goats were 2007 winter/spring babies and almost all of those needed the boost. Each gets about a cup twice a day, with free choice hay and browse. As the first fresheners are making udders, I have increased that by adding in more alfalfa pellets so they are getting about twice that amt. now, and they do seem to be doing well so far, in good condition without being fat.

I'm currently feeding the 2yo FF about 3 cups twice a day, with about a third of it being alfalfa pellets. She freshened last Tuesday. I left the buckling on her. I'm not seperating them at all yet, just milking her twice a day, and getting about 3-3 1/2 cups each milking. Shes not that big for a Nubian, she weight tapes about 140-145 lbs., so I didnt think that was too bad for a 1 week FF. Guess what I mean is that I think this mix is working well for us so far, and when we picked it up last month, IIRC we paid 146.00 for the half ton, which is about 7.35 a 50 lb bag, which I thought was pretty good compared to the premix feed prices. As we go into summer, I may drop the % of corn and increase the oats for the next order.

19. when we last checked, I think we had to have 500-600lbs worth of grain before they would mix and bag it.

We decided to mix it ourselves.

20. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

We have an old mill in our nearest town that mixes our grain. We get our A. pellets from a differnt mill in another town. The smallest batch our mill mixes is 500 lbs. They sack it into 100 lb. sacks. we get new sacks each time--you know the white plastic sort. we mix barley 200, whole oats 200 and cracked corn 100 dry. We have a great guy at the mill who will put whatever you want into the mix w/ no question, but we have been customers for years and I can see how if you went to some mills kind of hestitant like they would offer you all sorts of their wisdom and opinions about the best ingred. to add. :D

We just store our grain in the bags it comes in in the shop. Our a. pellets stay in the ton sack they come in in the shop also and we use out of it as we go. I keep the open sack of feed in my little milk house.

Anybody use pickle barrels? They are wonderful. We had a pickle plant in a town near us =1.5 hrs. away near...and we would buy barrels off them for around 10 dollars. they have screw on lids and I believe hold about 200 lbs. feed. water /bug/rodent tight. we have used them to store horse grain for years. anyhow.