Feed problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dover Farms, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Well...more like Flicka problems. We finally found a feed that everybody liked...and we've been feeding it for 6 weeks. Now all of a sudden Flicka(my yearling milker) decides she doesn't want to eat it anymore. I am pretty sure I know why...she doesn't care for the oats. She LOVES corn and I know I cannot feed her straight corn(much to her dismay)...she also likes BOSS and the concentrate pellet. She still eats her beet pulp and hay like she normally does...just not her grain. It's that time of year they don't milk as much I know, but I think she would milk more if she actually started eating her grain! She just stopped a couple of days ago. Is there something else I could use instead of oats...and no barely either...she doesn't like that. Is there maybe something I could mix up with corn, concentrate pellet, BOSS, and possibly beet pulp? Oh and we are keeping this feed...everyone else is eating it just fine....it's only my drama queen who won't.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would put her beat pulp in with the grain you have. Wouldn't change a thing and ckeck the goat for a temp is she in heat bla bla bla could be something quite different than just not liking the feed. Fee this only on the milk stand no where else

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

She was in heat but she isn't anymore. If she had a temp she wouldn't be eating anything...would she? When I gave her a hand full of corn she sucked it up like a vaccum...hand full of the pellets...beet pulp...BOSS. Gave her oats and she stuck her nose up at them. She acts normal otherwise...just not eating her grain.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I am mean and she wouldn't get a choice there would be a mix of grain and eat it or weep. Then if nothing is wrong with her and she is eating alfalfa pellets and hay I wouldn't worry this time of year.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Exactly Sondra! I prefer to train my goats to do as I say... not the other way around. :)

Sara

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Okay. Just wondered...her milk production has dropped some, but she is maintaining. I just don't like her doing this when we're at shows...then she doesn't udder up very well.

7. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Goats are sometimes pretty smart. Maybe there is something wrong with these oats, like mold or something. Even if these oats are fine, maybe she got bite of mold or gross-out junk one time recently, and just assumes all oats or oat-looking things like barely will taste just as terrible. I would not worry about it, just make sure she keeps eating..and look really closely at that feed she won't eat. You just never know.
    Anita