feed for the pregnant doeling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by steffb, Jan 22, 2008.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

I have a doeling 10 months old and 100 days bred. She was 90lbs at breeding. It sounds small but her mom weighs only 100lbs at age two. She has been eating alfalfa pellets and calf manna with a handful of oats. Starting to put her on the milkstand every morning to eat. Should I slowly decrease the calf manna as I increase the oats. This is the first year I have fed the calf manna. I really liked the way it put weight on the little ones. I am concerned about the protein levels being so different from the calf manna to the oats. Not just oats but oats, corn and soybean meal to come up with 17% protein.
    Thanks Steff

2. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I have been wondering about feeding bred, growing doelings but not in the same direction. We feed them grain and alfafla pellets as growing "kids" and then not supposed to feed them too much grain to get them bred and not too much (or none?) the first 100 days and then begin feeding them the last 50 days.

So, in addition to Steff's question, please include how you feed a doeling from weaning TO first kidding.

Thanks!

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Because doelings are still growing, themselves, while pregnant, mine receive grain throughout their pregnancy. How we do it here is that kids receive medicated goat developer pellets even prior to weaning. I used to feed them straight through pregnancy, but my feed store quit carrying them and I need to drive 135 miles to get them now. So, this winter I have switched them over to the grain mix they will receive as milkers. I actually feed my big goats grain throughout their pregnancy as well because I milk them all but the last 2 months of their pregnancy. When I dry them up, I cut back on the grain I feed, slowly increasing it as kidding time approaches. If I were to dry up my goats prior to, or just after breeding, I would discontinue the grain til they were two months away from kidding to avoid them getting fat. With the doelings, I pen feed their grain and they are not heavy fed it. I don't feed calf manna, but if I want more growth on a goat, I add a little Milk Plus pellets to their grain.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Same here. If I had really good alfalfa hay I wouldn't be feeding kids grain, they would get that alafalfa until they were 100 days bred just like non milking adults, then started on milkstand grain when 100 days bred....slowly increasing until they are at about 1 pound am and 1 pound pm as they kid...increasing that as they come into milk and get poundages of grain per poundages of milk.

But because I do alfalfa pellets, my kids are grained. I move from their kid grain to milkstand grain slowly at 100 days pregnant, so that when they are freshening they are on all milkstand grain. I want a higher protein in my kid ration with their alfalfa pellets than grown milkers, so yes calf manna works. But after they kid the only reason you would want to use calf manna would be if your alfalfa is low in protein or you are using it also for it's wonderful mineral make up when feeding just whole oats.

This part of management is up to you and your pocketbook. Vicki

5. steffb

steffb New Member

So I want to reduce the calf manna as I increase the oats?
    Steff

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Whole oats aren't as easily digested by goats as rolled grains. I'd increase the grain as the doelings get near kidding and keep the same amount of calf manna.

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Steff how much alfalfa and how much clfmanna. I feed my doelings calf manna every day and will continue until full grown But its not a huge part of there feed.

Patty

8. steffb

steffb New Member

She gets about 1 1/2 lbs of alfalfa pellet and about 1/2 cup calf manna and a handful of oats. i am concerned by the high amount of protein in the calf manna. I really don't want huge kids.

9. NubianSoaps.com

Whole oats aren't as easily digested by goats...

Wow don't agree with this at all. They are ruminants there is no better grain for them than clean whole oats.

It's up to you on the calf manna. As you up her oats to milkstand grain amounts, you can keep your calf manna the same if you want, or you can omit it as you run out. Although per pound very high in protein you certainly aren't feed anywhere near a pound per doe. Vicki

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I started adding whole oats to my goat's feed when I read about you feeding them, Vicki. Then, last fall, my friend, Barb went to convention and at a class she took, they said that goats don't digest whole oats well and suggested crimped/rolled oats instead. She got this formula that included crimped oats along with things like wheat and soy to bring the protein up to 16%. I haven't found that formula, so I mix a rolled ration dry cob with 16% protein dairy goat pellets, BOSS and a little sweet mix that is 12% protein. I add a handfull of Milk Plus pellets if I'm trying to get some growth on a goat.

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin I've heard this argument before...but it was when feeding to horses. Goats are very capable of rolling , crimping oats themselves.......and if they don't do it the first time.....they just cough it back up and do it again.......Like V......I wouldn't give much thought to this line of thinking when it comes to goats, sheep, or cows. JMHO...whim

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

My guys do well with whole oats.

Steph , I would not worry to much ..remember the doeling is still growing herself and also growing a baby.

Patty

13. NubianSoaps.com

When Sue Reith is asked to convention to put on a metobolic pregnancy disease class...when Joyce L is asked to come and bring her wealth of knowledge about minerals....then I will feel that 'awe' we are supposed to feel when someone says they learned something at convention.

The same=o same=o wrapped in a different package is till incorrect. Until some of the old guard dies off, alas we are stuck with information from vets, we layman aren't allowed. This will change eventually. Vicki

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It seems some things were more up to date and correct that she brought back from convention this time, such as feeding alfalfa throughout pregnancy and vaccinating for those staph bumps on the udder. I guess that's why I bought the whole oats theory. Since my goats were doing OK when they were in my mix, I might as well add them back.