feed and mineral info needed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jean, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Jean

Jean New Member

What type of feed and minerals do I need to feed my momma goat? We purchased the alfalfa pellets and sweet feed, we also added lactating pellets to her feed. Is this a good mix for the milk goat and her baby? and how much should I feed her daily. Do I also need to feed an alfalfa hay or any minerals to her and her baby, if so what kind of minerals do I need to purchase? She looks like she doesn't have much milk, is this because the baby is still nursing? Her coat seems really course and not shinny. I know she has been wormed. I want her to be healthy and her baby to be healthy. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ok well don't know where Splendora is but Bluebonnet Tech-Master Complete minerals is what a whole lot of us use here in TX IT is the best.
    Most of us do not use sweet feed in fact a lot have gone to just oats and top dress with black oil sunflower seeds or sunflower oil. but 3lbs of alfalfa pellets a day for ea goat and grass hay. Alfalfa hay here in TX is not good quality so we use alfalfa pellets

By the way WELCOME and hope to meet you sometime.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Jean the feed store on the tracks carries the Bluebonnet Tech Master complete, if you don't want or need a full sack I would be happy to split it with you, I need some always :) It's perfect for our area with it's low iron, high copper, yeast, kelp and real quality mix.

I use a big red scoop that holds 3 pounds of alfalfa pellets and feed that to my milker each day. I would also nix the sweet feed idea, finish feeding it out but switch to the Bluebonnet dry mix the feed store carries, once again it is a wonderful product and you can use it, about 1 pound in the morning and 1 pound in the evening while you practice milking her (the 11 ounce coffee can is a good measure) give her a little more. When you go pick up your minerals buy a sack of grain and mix it half and half with the sweet feed you purchased, until the sweet feed is gone. Here we have so much iron in our products, in our grass in our water table that using molassas which is really high in iron and also causes acidosis in the rumen isn't a good idea, although is fine in other places.

She will need to be wormed in another month or so due to the fresh grass and worms and the baby will also. So might want to purchase your Cydectin cattle pouron. I have a list of stuff we do to kids and adults in the goatkeeping 101 section.

Did the kid get disbudded?
    Are you vaccinating?

I could easily help you with all that or you could call Kenny who will come to your farm and help. Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH there you go!! How nice to be close to VICKI!! wish I could move.

5. Jean

Jean New Member

Thanks you all. I think my husband did purchase that today from the Splendora Feed. I am so scared of doing something wrong with my goats. I just want my goats to be healthy and do what is best for them. I got them today and already care for them so much. The moma watches the upstairs window and when I pass by that window she lets out a loud noise. I sat in the pen today letting her get to know me, she would come up to me and let me pet her. She is so friendly and a very sweet goat. I can't wait till I get to start milking her.
    Thanks

6. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Welcome to the forum Jean! You are very lucky to be close to Vicki. I can tell by your post that you already love your goats - good luck!

7. Jean

Jean New Member

Vicki
    Thank you for the info on goat feed.
    The goats seem to be doing better today, the mother is eating more today and seems to be more relaxed today. I guess it takes time for them to get use to a new home and to us.

The baby has been dehorned and is on worm medication. The lady I purchased the goat gave me enough worm medication to finish this treatment and a few more treatments. She also left a bucket of lactating pellets for them. She was wonderful in taking time to write everything down for me with the goat's medical information and other information on the goats.

I do need to come visit one day and learn how to do goat care the right way.
    In the meantime I am going to keep reading your forum and begin a resource notebook for feeding, worming, etc:
    Thanks