Feed and College Station Co-op ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jul 24, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Does anyone have a website, email address and/or phone number for the co-op. I am looking at putting together a list of what we feed everyone and seeing if we can't save money going to the co-op.

We are feeding horses, cows, chickens, and goats.
    I would like a mix that I can feed the horses, cows, and goats. (the horses and cows are really on a maintenance ration and rarely get anything this time of year except grass in pasture and hay when we break a bale loading in the barn. We do feed daily in the winter.
    I was thinking an Alfalfa Pellet and Oats mix (we used to feed crimped...should I go another route)
    Then I can topdress with BOSS

Would alfalfa pellet and oats with boss be a good milk stand grain for the does. With additonal alfalfa pellets in the barn?

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Google...producers Coop Bryan Texas

I was actually shocked that the prices there last week were not cheaper than I could get here, certainly not when you add in gas/diesel.

If you have alfalfa pellets in the barn there is no reason to have them in your milkstand grain. And yes oats, whole oats...yes crimped for the horses. Remember when feeding only raw grains you need to watch your minerals to make sure they are excellent.

For me I want a feed routine that I can feed everyone the same thing so I am not buying 10 bags of 10 different things. Vicki

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Thanks, I found the site for them...just been looking around, wasn't sure if it was the right place...didn't know the name!
    I have always fed horses a prepackaged horse feed, except when I worked at a stable we fed alfalfa pellets and crimped oats. Can I put the Tech Master Minerals out for everyone...goats, cows, and horses.
    So you mention whole oats and crimped...can I feed one of the 2 to the horses, cows, and goats.
    If I buy a mix for everyone I would like to be able to throw it in a big bin and mix everything together, so if horses and cows need (not sure if they do) alfalfa pellets would it hurt the goats to have them in their milkstand mix??

If this is ok I want to feed horses, cows, and goats (on milkstand - with hay, alfalfa pellets, and minerals in barn):
    Oats (whole or crimped)
    Alfalfa Pellets (do the horses and cows really need this....or can they have just oats)
    top dressed with BOSS

If tech master mineral is ok for horses I will have it out for everyone.

4. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Producers coop prices last week on July 16th when we went:
    Oats: $10.15 a bag
    Alfalfa Pellets $9.25 a bag
    14% Horse Pellets: $9.55

That's what we paid when we was there. We buy from the coop, cause we have cows, chickens, rabbits, hogs, and goats (and one horse), so we have to buy several different types of feed. You can call them at any time and they will give you prices over the phone. We go to producers about once every 3-4 months. The prices go up and down. Alfalfa was down from when we were there last time, but oats were up.

5. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I get feed when my DD comes home from A&M.
    I get frustrated with the feed not being consistent first batch of AP was good this last batch smelled nasty like rotten alfalfa but was a nice green color (dye?) I am feeding it to my Boer goats I would not feed it to the dairy girls.
    I like the prices just sad when you don't know what you are going to get.
    Fran

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

hmmmmm We used to board a friends horses that went to A&M and she bought feed to pay for us taking care of her 2 horses. She got it at the co-op, used to bring us like 20 bags at a time.
    What is the co-ops minimum order??

7. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

There is no minimum to buy of any type of feed. If you join the co-op you get a percentage of your feed and whatever else you buy back the following year. They base the percentage on the profit for each section of the co-op, i.e. feed, fertilizer, plants, etc..

Ray

8. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

hmmmmmmm...have to call my 2 feed stores and get prices and then call the co-op and compare to see if we would be saving enough to justify going out there!

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Kind of depends what kind of cows you are feeding. Our brood cows never get grain, only hay during the winter. Our winters are a lot colder here too. That said, these are beef-type cows, not sure if Longhorns have a higher calorie requirement? But unless you are trying to fatten them out, they shouldn't need much at all.

10. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have one momma that is lactating and her 3 yr old steer calf still nurses off her. I could kill him, but can't. So I try to feed her by herself so she gets something to help keep her weight up. They are all in pretty good weight, but I would like to see them a little heavier. Need to figure out some way to stop the steer from nursing off her. The yhad a bull in with them the beginning of the year, but don't think any were bred. Owner just wants to sell them and get a couple beef calves to fatten up on goats milk and grass for our freezers and to sell a little extra to friends and family.

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

we did the math and save over $3K a yr buying from the co-op rather than 'locally'.

12. Goater

Goater Guest

We really like the alfalfa pellet from the Co-op. It is a small pellet, like for rabbits, instead of the larger pellet most places have. It usually smells good, unlike a lot of the others which make me wheeze when they are in the car/truck with me.

You're right Vicki, I was showing a friend the Co-op, right after we had been to Tractor Supply, and the prices on almost all the supplies were higher. I still think it's worth more for the quality of their product, but now that the prices are going up every week or two, I may have to rethink that.

Goater's Hubby, on Goater's computer

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Maybe Lisa will remember exactly but it was nearly $20 for a bottle of 200mg tetracycline! Even the large syringe I purchased to fill these tiny lotion bottles was fifty cents more than I could get locally. Quick Bayt was also more. Vicki