Fecal Technique

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatsareus, Jun 17, 2008.

1. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

So I have just completed my fifth fecal exam, I recently purchased the kit (microscope, scale, syringe etc) a few weeks ago. I never was comfortable with a microscope in school, so this is a challange for me.

Do you really smush the nanny berries in the saline solution for a full two minutes? I have found if the resulting solution is too dark, then I can not see the grid on the Mc Masters slide.

And what is this thing that looks like a shucked ear of corn?? It is much bigger than the worm cells, maybe 10 times bigger and looks like an ear of corn with the individual kernels clearly visible.

I have found that I have mainly the Haemonchus contortus and that the Eprinex is no longer ineffective. I have been using Eprinex since at least 1995 so am switching to Cydectin Pour on.

Also, I find that I am frequently readusting the focus. Is this normal?

Thanks for any insights.

Beth

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

No idea about he ear of corn....but it's sounds like some kind of fiber to me.

Too much stuff floating........It may be that you need to cut the amount of fecal material down just a bit. You really don't need gobs of poop to get a good reading. I think a lot of these folks measure theirs with a gram scale.......I don't have one, so I use my gun powder scales, and it measures in grains.....am not sure how to convert grains to grams, so kinda at a loss here.

The main thing is to try to repeat your procedure each time. If you float a BB sized amount of poop this time, then try to copy it the next time too.
    I was testing a whole pill out of each goat (which wasn't the same size or weight each time).....and yes, I got a good idea what I was dealing with, but like you, I had a lot of debris on the slide. I have cut my amounts back to where I'm only testing a small portion of one goat pill.
    With that said....it means that I have had to cut back on my egg counts of what I consider "normal" here. Where I was saying that 6 to 8 HC was normal over a 1x1 area.....now it's more like 3. Same way with cocci.

The main thing is to get your technique down to where you can view what you need to. Once your satisfied that you are seeing all there is to see, then repeat it each time. Don't be afraid to experiment with different ways to do it. I really don't think that practice makes perfect while running fecals, but practice sure does give you an edge over one of the main problems that most all of us face with our herds.
    If you run one, and you believe that you didn't get consistant results....than run another one later. I have often ran one today, and was not satisfied with the lack of what I seen.....I then run another tomorrow, and the next day too. I figure that in at least one of the three days, that I should find something shedding off if there is anything there to shed.
    Stay with it, and don't give up....your pocket book and your goats health will be the better for it.

Hope this helps,

Whim

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat couldn't have said it better myself.

4. Leo

Leo New Member

Ditto,
    And I do readjust focus, if you have a glass screen thing, those small squares with the microscope, it helps with keeping everything level.
    Megan

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What do you use a syringe for? Also how long are you letting your mashed up mess set before making your slide, doesn't alot of your debrie sink? It's not an airbubble is it? Vicki

6. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

the syringe came with the kit and is used to draw the 28cc's of saline solution. I don't let it set at all, just proceed through the steps as I printed out from the Langston U. web site. I am using a 3 ounce custard cup so there is not much depth to the solution/goo. I follow the directions, stir back and forth 8 times before sucking some up in the eye dropper.

Are you asking if the ear of corn is an air bubble? This check is the first time I have found the ear of corn stuff, it was not in the first 4 fecals i have done. I guess it does not sound like some monster worm then?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Beth can you post their directions? After I mix mine I wait 15 mintues before running it for the solids to sink. Vicki

8. Belle

Belle New Member

9. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

thank you Belle, that is what I use.

10. Belle

Belle New Member

You're welcome, I wish I could be of more help! But, I do agree with Whim on this one, what you saw sounds most like some type of fiber to me too. The microscope gets much easier to use with more practice and yes, I do adjust mine fairly often. Just a thought, if you have a way to take a picture and post it on here that may be helpful the next time you find something you can't identify.