Fecal help, what are these?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, May 29, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Ok, new stuff (for me). :biggrin What are these? They are both about the size of Cocci, quite small. The first one really looks like a little golf ball. He (blue) had only one of the "golf balls" and two of the "footballs".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Top one insignificant. Outer shell is not defined (outlined) enough to be an egg casing.
    Bottom one HC.

Liver fluke is actually larger than HC and since you say they are viewed at a higher power...it leads me to believe it's an HC. Another reason LF and HC are mistaken.
    Kaye

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Hmmm, they don't looke the same as the other HC's I've seen. Are there different kinds? These were extremely dark, so that they looked just black on the lower power. But on 40 you could barely see it had some kind of nucleus.

Also, these are much smaller than the HC's I've seen, like the size of coccidia.

I guess I should have mentioned the top is 10X and the bottom pic 40X

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's generally easier to see HC on 40x than on 10x.
    Nope, nothing else other than LF that resembles HC. Whip have a slight cap.

The darker could be your concentration of inanimate matter.
    Kaye

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I love those photos WOW !!!!!! ...... HOW do you take them ?? using what ????
    THANKS,Linda

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I thought these were HC (this is also 40X):

[​IMG]

Hope I'm not coming off argumentative, I'm really just confused! :D

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

That first pic of the golf ball, looks to be some type of pollen....maybe willow.
    The second pic is just too distorted for me to see that well, but I'll buy Kaye's answer, because she has looked at the different stages more than about anyone on here.
    The third pic does look like HC to me.

As a rule of thumb----when I see something that I can't figure out, then I look for more of them to try to get several different looks at it. If I spot something like this, and it appears to be a "one of a kind" thing, I usually dismiss it and go looking for something else.
    Lots of pollens and junk out there this time of the year, so your gonna see everything in the world that will freak you out. Don't let every fecal test drive you batty....stick with the basics. If all seems well, but something on a fecal doesn't look right, then I run another one......and maybe again on the same goat the next day too.
    Be sure to clean all your slides well (and everything else) after using them, so that you know that you are not looking at something (eggs) that has been on there 3 weeks and has discolored itself some. Cross contamination can give you poor results every time.

Whim

Whim

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Both those photos are of HC...look at the difference in your backgrounds. One 1. is cloudy (fuzzy) and yellow tinged, the other is clearer and the magnification is better. Wait until you find a HC that has just began the nucleous seperation...then you'll be really confused.
    Kaye