Favorite Toggs?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Knotneer, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Knotneer

Knotneer New Member

Since we have a favorite Nubian thread, let's do Toggs too!

Who is your favorite Togg and why?

Mine is Rowe's Fenix Flora. She really had it all-she was EX most of her life and 92 EEEE as a 10 year old, 6 times Top Ten, and then passed it all on to her daughters.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Hhhhmmm...<scratching head> That's a tough one. There's actually not one Togg in particular that really stands out in my mind. There are certain traits in several that I admire.
    I have several old bucks in the tank and that I have used to improve traits in does that I have had.
    Mount Douglas Key Principle
    Mount Douglas Jason Pioneer
    Dionysius Cici's Chivas Regal
    Pasha Regal Royal Salute

:lol I have *my* ideal doe in my own mind and keep breeding towards that goal, using bucks that keep the traits I have, but add their own strong trait to the resulting kid. Maybe some day.??
    Kaye

3. Odeon

Odeon New Member

The Pasha herd was in Idaho, and I was able to see Sharon's goats at all of the local shows.. Chivas Regal produced some AWESOME Toggs!

Ken

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I agree on this buck. I've got a buckling right now sired AI by him. He was used quite a bit this breeding season and I think he's good enough he's being collected Wed. After that, he will be for sale. I've got another breeding I'm planning to keep a buck from and gotta' make room! I've used *Chivas* twice in my herd and both times he's made major improvments. Guess my lines just clicked with him.

I messed up with a Mount Douglas Key Principle buckling. I gave him away to a deserving 4-H girl breeding Toggs, before I had him collected. I managed to buy a daughter back from him. Gorgeous doe as a FF. Unfortunately, he died and they didn't keep a son. :(

Oh,well, life goes on.
    Kaye

5. Knotneer

Knotneer New Member

Lots of votes for Chivas! I like him too. Most of my does have Chivas close up. I used a Chivas son, Marshland Regal/J Starbuck, for two years. Starbuck makes similar type and udders and adds milk and dairyness. My doe on the brag page is a Starbuck daughter/Chivas grand-daughter.

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We had some Chivas Regal in some of our Toggs years ago - very nice lines there. Kinda miss my Toggs, but they just won't sell here.

7. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Good topic, but a head scratcher for sure. Like Kaye we have seen many that we truly admire and it is hard to narrow it down to just one. We also have an ideal doe in our head that we are working towards and would be a lot faster to achieve if we could use a "magic" wand. Tim has always liked Marshland San Mar Phaedra - not a well known doe but one that was beautiful and competitive throughout her long life winning the MN state fair at age 9. We have had a lot of animals that go back to Madam Razz and we seem to find her in pedigrees of animals that we like. We also can't forget Cherry Glen Tristin Ayla who just scored a 94 EEEE and we are really liking what we are seeing from her son Amen that we are using AI.
    Principle was a great buck and we are proud to have one daughter out of him. We tend to experiment with newer bucks than most do and it is fun to see what they can do - but it can be a lot like rolling the dice.
    Probably will have to post again after we have thought more about this and all the nice does that we are forgetting.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I admire this doe a lot! Also the fact she was winning big time when most purebred breeders wouldn't even give it a thought to use an AMERICAN. :jawdrop Tee,hee...I DON'T CARE what the letters are (AT or T) in front of a reg. number if that doe is superb and she was. She also passed her good traits on in lots of sons and daughters...making her more than a *flash in the pan*. A good Togg, is a good Togg.
    Kaye

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Kaye, I agree wholeheartedly on the AT/T issue and have closed my eyes to that part of the pedigree. We are using a son of M. Razz (Sun-kissed Razz's Rajah) this year in a repeat breeding that produced an outstanding doe for us.
    Tim

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol I've also used a son- Sun-Kissed Razz's Regal Ra. Unfortunatly, she's the one that didn't settle.?? Held the preg for 45 days and then recycled.?? Last straw I had of him, so she got bred back to Mount Douglas Jason Pioneer...Sun. was 21 days on that cycle and no heat,yet. Where's that fingers crossed emotion?

:lol It might be interesting if we were at the same show with essentially the same lines. :lol
    Kaye

11. Odeon

Odeon New Member

What do you Togg breeders think of some of the older lines? Poco-a-Poco, Anagram Acres, Tifdoroyl, etc...

12. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We don't breed Toggs, but just have to say how much I admire Elsie Hausman's Toggs....Adonai Toggenburgs, I think the herd name is.
    (I keep meaning to ask where Adonai comes from....)

Anyway, one doe by herself is nice, but it's when she brings 4 does out for Best Herd....they look like 4 peas in a pod. Wide rear-ends,
    level top-lines, high and wide rear udders, lovely teat placement, really nice feet, (with Saanens I always admire nice feet on other people's goats,
    probably more than the score card calls for... :D) She usually wins Best Herd, and I can really understand why. Oh, and of course their markings are
    all alike as well.

So maybe not "Big name" breeder, but someday I hope someone rates my girls highly, even though I don't have the "big" name. :D

Camille

13. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Camille,
    I do like Elsie toggs also, we just don't get to see them often here in the midwest.
    Tim

14. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Kaye,
    Good luck with the Jason Pioneer breeding, I would love to get some semen, but those that have that keep it. :sigh
    I would love to meet up at a show with you sometime, we love seeing different herds. Too bad we are so far apart.
    Tim

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My favorite Togg is the one in someone else's barn. :rofl

I can't discriminate against a pretty doe, Togg or not. I even had the pleasure of naming this year's Junior National Champion Togg 'Schmidt/ECF High Society Rose'

Can I pick 'em or what? ;)

Sara

16. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

You sure can, Sara. We kept telling Sara that us simple Togg breeders couldn't agree on a name, that the doeling was fancy and needed a fancy name! Takes a Nubian breeder to come up with those fancy names.
    Tim

17. Knotneer

Knotneer New Member

I just got the new NTC newsletter with a color pic of the Adonai dairy herd. Looks like they have the right teat placement to go along with everything else!

18. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I put on a show in Oregon, and Elsie and Bob come every year. Great people and GORGEOUS animals!

19. Corky

Corky New Member

I raised Toggs for a while and I read up enough to find that I had Toggs from a famous line.
    The does were from Nimrodel Sausalito and Outlaw acres Toodles and should have been wonderful but they were not that great.

I had a gal tell me I was lieing on the papers because Sausalito had been dead for 15 years but they forgot about frozen seman.

The farm I got them from AIs and gets high dollar seman from where ever she wants.

She was always fussing about when she missed with a doe that came in heat again and she wasted a $90 straw.

I sold all my Toggs to a lady that wanted those lines in her herd.
    She got kids from them and then sold the does.

The Togg cross I now have is not from that line and she is awesome.

Her sire came from Bluff top Dante and Lotsarocks matilda.

I know nothing about that line. The rest of the line I have on record is bluff top goats.
    He was purebred.