Favorite Milking pail, strainers, etc.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Mar 2, 2008.

1. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sorry, but I would never reuse a milk filter when filtering milk for human consumption. They aren't that expensive to use a new one at each milking.

Sara

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I agree whole heartedly on the above.
    I have bought the 6" filters and cut them in half...but to re-use, NO WAY.
    Kaye

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yep, you sure can. I've used SS stock pots to milk into, washed the excess milk out and run them through the dishwasher.
    Kaye

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well, I am a pretty good shot at squirting milk in the opening of Hoegger's hooded pail... It can slow you down some however. Milking into a hooded pail will be a lot cleaner as it catches most but not all of the hair and dirt or poop flakes that falls from the belly into the milk. Doing a good job of cleaning the doe before milking will eliminate a lot of this. Every time a hair or dirt flake falls into my milk, I think how loaded it must be with bacteria. This bacteria will cause the milk to spoil sooner or to break down the enzymes causing the mik to taste goaty. The cleaner you are with your milk, the longer shelf life it will have in the fridge and you will love the good taste.

5. We use SS 2 gallon pails from Jeffers or Hoeggers and some we won at shows, not sure where they came from. We also use 2 gallon plastic pails, just don't have enough SS pails and if washed well betwen milkings the milk tastes perfectly fine.
    Becky

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You can get those 2 gallon plastic buckets from the donut place. It has the filling in it. They are food grade and are pretty heavy duty.