Favorite Disbudding Iron

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

OK, I need to buy my own disbudding iron this year and I'm wondering which one is best for Nigerians/Minis. Which one (since it's pretty much between the X30 and X50) is better and is better for those little heads? Thanks!

2. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I disbud my friends kids with the same tip on my X50.
    I've had 3 different kind.. heck.. 4 if you count the very first one I had, which was an old iron socket wrench. That thing worked great.. heat with a blow torch. It was much thicker than any electric one I've had, so it made a thicker ring on the bud. Looked like somebody did it with a wrench though.. :rofl

I've had the cheaper electric one.. looks like a wand. It did fair.. but you had to wait longer between each burn and it seemed to take forever.
    My next one was the X30.. it did great for a few years.. but it sort of got thin. The tip, over time, looses it's density, or so my welding hubby says, and it gets thin. When I did the last few burns with it, it more or less cut through the skin, and in a matter of weeks, the circle had sort of healed back. Hard to explain, but the circle wall was so thin, it healed back like a cut or something. I couldn't replace the tip, although it did screw in and out.
    I ordered the X50 last year.. and man do I love it. Wondered where it had been all these years. The goat tip, which I ordered seperate, I think, it a lot thicker metal and it works great. I get a real good burn and fast copper ring.
    My friend ordered to nigerian tip to do her ND's, and when she brought it.. it was the same size as the one regular goat one.
    I know the X50 is higher than most, but in the long run, it's a better buy as the tips can be replaced when they get thin. It gets hotter, less burn time.

Rett Clark

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

YEp I agree "X50 is where it is at".

Autumn

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I've never used any but the X50. But you couldn't pay me to change. I got my first X50 almost 7 years ago. It was old and second-hand then. Several hundred goat heads later, its still going strong. Its gets HOT and stays HOT.
    Have disbudded Pygmies, Nubians, Lamanchas, Alpines, Boers and calves with it. Just *love* it.

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

OK, I am using an X30 on my ND's. Last year I ran into the problem of having small scurs coming up behind or outside the original burn area. ND horns are kinda egg shaped when mature, so this goes to figure some I guess. I was thinking of buying a X50 with the additional teardrop looking tip (buck tip). It looks wider, with more coverage, and shaped more like an ND horn........Do you think this would do a better job on these horny bugger's ?

Whim

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I use the X50 with the regular goat tip. I bought the nigerian/pygmy tip as well but it was so small and although the nigies are small they still have a pretty wide horn base... The regular tip has been working fine for me...

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a Rhinehart X50, but Vicki's DH fitted mine with a larger tip, like welded on a bigger iron piece of pipe over the existing tip that was on there. It works great.

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Definitely the Rhinehart X50 on a disbudding iron. We use our also, to disbud calves.

9. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Well, by unanimous vote, the X50 is it! Thanks--I wanted to be sure it was worth the extra money!