fat milker

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i have a saanan, 3 yr old that is rather pudgy. she is in milk since feb. doesn't give extraordinary amt. of milk, but if i cut her grain back, she drops milk fast. she is getting about 1.5 lbs of oat/corn with some beet pulp. i've cut the boss from her diet. she gets free choice alfalfa, mineral, baking soda, water and sometimes apple cider vinegar in the water. her coat is nice, she is real energetic. but chubby! maybe not worry about it? or is there something i can change to make her milk more and keep less? thank you

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sounds to me like a "dairyness" issue. Not a whole lot you can do about that. She's putting the calories on her back instead of in the bucket. Feed doesn't have a whole lot to do with it I don't think. If she gets too fat she will have trouble breeding, I would consider cutting the grain down and taking what you get milk-wise. This doe would be on my cull list personally.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You could also increase her protein and calcium with more alfalfa, either hay or alfalfa pellets and start slowly decreasing her grain. Without calcium girls can't milk. You shouldn't see a drastic decrease of milk with grain, it should be the opposite, drastic decrease of milk when you take her off her alfalfa.

Alfalfa in some form should be the bulk of her diet, then grain on the milkstand to keep her in good flesh. So like mine that stay in good flesh all the time, they get very little grain on the milkstand. Vicki

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Keep in mind that at some point in time...that extra fat is gonna start being stored in the udder, and then you will have to near starve her to death to get that fat out. If her udder is full of fat, then guess what there isn't any room for in there....I bet you guess it.

Whim

5. chewie

chewie New Member

i'll fiddle with her rations a bit, see what happens. what would soymeal do?

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

My milkers are skeletal, in a good way (dairyness). I have a dry 3 yr. old doe who lives on browse and a bite of feed and she is obese. Her full sister, who is fresh, is half her weight because of the milk she is giving, she is still nursing a 5-6 month old doeling as well as being milked once a day giving 4 lbs. on little feed.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

'Skeletal' or thin does not equal dairyness or dairy character. A skinny doe is not necessarily a dairy doe.

Dairy Character (ADGA scorecard)

Angularity and general openness with strong yet refined and clean bone structure, showing freedom from coarseness and with evidence of milking ability giving due regard to stage of lactation (of breeding season in bucks).
    Neck - long, lean, and blending smoothly into the shoulders; clean-cut throat and brisket.
    Withers - prominent and wedge-shaped with the dorsal process arising slightly above the shoulder blades.
    Ribs - flat, flinty, wide apart, and long; lower rear ribs should angle to flank.
    Flank - deep, yet arched and free of excess tissue.
    Thighs - in side profile, moderately incurving from pinbone to stifle; from the rear, clean and wide apart, highly arched and out-curving into the escutcheon to provide ample room for the udder and its attachment.
    Skin - thin, loose, and pliable with soft, lustrous hair.

Sara

8. NubianSoaps.com

what would soymeal do?

It would add protein and estrogen to the feeding program. Great when you are growing fast growing kids on alfalfa that isn't as high in protein as most have on this forum up north. But too much protein will also make does really skinny by making them work really hard in this heat. Vicki

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Sara, I was kinda joking. I have does that are more "dairy" than others. The ADGA scorecard description of "dairyness" is so flat and one-dimensional. I look at my does and see dairyness almost as an aura about them as well as just cut and dry characteristics, hard to explain.

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I know Diane. :)

Put your hands on a doe who excels in Dairy Character according to the ADGA scorecard and you will no longer find it 'one-dimensional'. :)

Sara

11. chewie

chewie New Member

all my dairy girls have free choice alf. hay from this year. (its been a good year for crops here)

vicki--then you wouldn't really feed any soymeal? i was giving calf manna, but the price is starting to hurt. with free choice of this hay, would pellets benefit me any? thanks

12. NubianSoaps.com

If your protein in your hay is good you don't need to use protein in your grain mix. It's sort of trying to wrap your brain around something new. Hay, the best you can find, knowing the protein (digestable) is key. Then you fix the problems your hay has with grain. Low in protein than add soybean meal. Since hay has very little energy you may need some corn for energy for the cold winter or if your does are bred or milking or your bucks are heavily used. Carbs and calories (oats) for milking and not milking skeletally thin...or growing kids. If you put the emphasis on your hay or alfalfa pellets where they should be it's not only cheaper to feed with grain so high, it's much better for the does. Vicki