Fat Buck. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I have a 10 month old buck. He is not fat per say but just very round in the barrel area. If he wasn't a buck I'd say he was far along in being pregnant. :lol I stopped feeding him grain after rutting and he got his job done. (decreased it slowly) What else can I do? Aren't bucks suppose to be trim? :/ He is still young though and growing. I'm really confused.

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Stop letting him eat hops, and get him some more work to do! : )
    Does his mineral have brewyers yeast in it?

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

No. And he is not eating hops either. :rofl Can't get back to work, he's already covered everyone he's going to cover for this year. He could use more exercise I suppose.

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

If he has a big belly, isn't that just rumen?

5. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

On a young buck I would not worry to much about him being a little over weight. That said if he is to the point where is heart or organs would have a hard time working he needs to loose weight. ;) I also like a little weight on my bucks during the winter when they will burn the extra fat off keeping warm, New York can't be to much different then us we are only a days drive away. Just make sure he is healthy and gets outside on nice days, does he have a pen mate?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Feel over his ribs, a big barrell is a good thing. Even a young buck should not be carrying excess weight this time of year, even not actually used on does he......lets put this delicatly since we are not in OT :) He wastes the same amount of calories and semen on his friends and himself?? :)

There isn't an ounce of flesh on any of my boys this time of year. Make sure you are seeing actual fat. Vicki

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

What Vicki said. It's called body capacity! And it's what you want in a buck and hope he passes it on!
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

But being the devils advocate here, are you sure it isn't cocci?

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

That was my first thought too Sondra.

Kim, have you run a fecal to be sure his round belly isn't from cocci or worms?

Sara

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Yes, you two that could certainly be an issue! Cocci kids DO have a pot belly appearance. A fecal would certainly be in order. Didn't you have some issues with coccidia earlier?
    Kaye

11. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I am happy and somewhat embarrassed to say that he is not as "big" as I first thought. I ran my hand over his ribs and he is nice and open but VERY hairy too. :rofl He is healthy. No he does not have a pen mate.....yet. I'll be keeping one of his sons. So he will next year. I treated for Cocci and was wondering if I had it at one part last spring. He has lost weight it seems since I've taken him off the grain. I am glad. I am glad that he should have a nice barrel. That is good. I guess I was comparing him to a full grown buck I saw the other day and wondered why he did not look so well proportioned. DUH! He's still maturing.

I have not run a fecal yet. I need to. I'll have to do a search to find out what Cocci is suppose to look like so I know what to look for.

Thanks everyone. You've been great! :)

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What do you mean?? you need to know that if it is cause by cocci ( the fat your seeing) that it is most likely already damaged. So hope your doing reg ever 21 day treatments.

13. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Sorry for the double posting. I just read in the GK101 that you feed Corid until they are old enough and eating well enough to eat medicated feed. I stopped giving them Corid months ago. But I have also not been giving them medicated feed. That will change! I'll have to introduce it gradually and switch them over. Right? But again....is it safe to feed medicated feed to pregnant does? Do I feed that medicated feed until they are of old age? Boy do I feel like a noob. :( So many things to remember. Oh if only I had a printer. I could make a notebook. Note to self: Buy a printer!

14. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Did you do any fecals after you stopped the treatment? You should be able to stop the corid around 6 months but you need to fecal to make sure. Medicated feed might not be enough to keep cocci numbers down, run monthly fecals.

Christy

15. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

A microscope is on my To Purchase list. So is a Printer to make a notebook. And a whole bunch of other very necessary things like a pasturizer. I need to build two more kidding pens before March/April. Build or buy a milking stand or two and find my sanity. Minerals, medicated feed, more dewormer.... the list seems endless and I know I'm forgetting things. I learn about them after I need them and I get so frustrated. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. Perhaps its just a bad night. Sorry. :sigh

No, I have not done fecals. But I realize how important this is so the supplies I need for this is high priority.

EDIT: Sorry for venting. Thanks for listening and helping me so much. I really appreciate this forum.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just don't buy medicated feed and only rely on fecal cks and cocci meds. given every 21 days until abt 8 mo old. then by fecals cks only if needed.
    But if giving medicated feed then at abt 100 days bred switch them gradually over to your milk stand grain. Bucklings are also given milk stand grain here. and then go to just alfalfa pellets and grass hay.

17. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you Sondra. Giving ages and times for doing certain things helps. I appreciate it.

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Wish you were closer, I have a printer I'd let you have for cheap! but to ship it would be $$$!
    I found that with pasteurizing, the easiest way for me is to be in a routine. I put the milk in a big pot, set that on the stove with a thermometer in it, and do NOT leave the kitchen till it's done!
    I put the pot on the back burner overnight to cool and put it up for kids in the morning. Easy peasy. :)
    As for the microscope, there are relatively inexpensive ones.. try e-bay! But I understand the "list of things to get".. I have an old Kleenex box that I've used as a piggy bank.. worked for me!

19. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

You are very kind Stacy. But no worries. I can probably pick up a cheap printer at our local Walmart. And e-bay is a good idea for getting several things. Thanks for the idea. Did not even think about that. :duh :lol

I wish I was closer to everyone here. Not possible though. But nice all the same. :)

20. Sondra

Sondra New Member

for the time being just refer back to Goat 101 everything is in there and for me is easier than thumbing thru all my notes.