fading scent

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by chewie, Dec 19, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i am still having fun doing soaps, but have ordered FO from 3 places now. the first one seemed kinda expensive, so i tried another. they sent FO in plastic bottles which i hear is only done with cheapie scent? is this true?

the third had great smells and came in amber glass, but seems to be fading faster than the first one. is this common? did i maybe just not use enough or do you eventually buy your FO's from a place that seems to have lasting scent? they seemed to smell fairly strong at first, but it just seems they have faded some now.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

After the soap cures you want to store it in plastic, like rubbermaid or wrap them. All soap will loose some of it's scent on the exposed surfaces, but once you use them the scent should come back strong. Some citrus and some florals will simply fade away.

I don't want to pay for the added expense of getting my FO's in plastic, I repackage big amounts into my own jugs anyway...plastic ones! Now my EO's yes they usually come in glass, or aluminum...i love the alluminum bottles, makes my counter look like a lab, plus since they keep the scent dark you don't have to hide everything away out of the light.

There are just places I prefer to deal with, they always have what I need, the ship quickly....I just can't justify spending for soap fragrance what I do for some lotion or body butter fragrance. Vicki

3. chewie

chewie New Member

argh, i am just leaving them out, sitting on the shelf. i will be putting them in a box or something then.

so far, i'm only ordering very small amts, until i get to knowing better what i want to do, where/what to buy etc. i wasn't sure if that company (who was telling me that the other places that ship in plastic bottles were cheapos ) was just telling tales or what.

i've been making a version of the walmart recipe, only altered a little, and using 4 oz of FO. is this good/bad/ugly?

thanks vicki!

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have several FO's that I also use at that dosage, but they are super strong...dragons blood, my Drakaar dupe, Green Twede and of course EO's I use that much and less for several. But typical scents I use 5.3 ounces for the 7 pound batch. Vicki

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Some companies will also water down fragrances which how and why they can sell them cheaper, not all do that tho.. Reason for glass bottles, some fragrances can eat thru plastic over time, but I have yet to have that happen, but maybe because I use it up too fast.. and the dark brown glass keeps light from getting to it.. Many reputable dealers will ship in plastic.. so not true..
    And some fragrances just plain fade in soap, no matter what you do.. It is all trial and error when first starting out, finding the company you like to buy fragrances from, what fragrances fade, which do not.. there is a great fragrance review here on the internet,, you can find it by searching and of course why we have this forum where many of us soap makers have posted what worked for us and what didn't
    Barbara