Eye problem in kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Dec 22, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm referring to Snowflake here. She's the little runt doeling I got from a friend. She's out of one of my bucks. She was born with neurological problems and, though all Nubian, doesn't look quite like my other Nubian doelings. Her head shape is a bit off and her ears are a bit smaller. A couple days ago, when I was giving her a bottle, I noteced that one of her eyes wasn't open all the way - kind of like the opening is becoming smaller. It didn't seem weepy, but the inside corner looks dark. I treated with tetracycline, but amm wondering if it's something other than an eye infection. No blood or cuts near by. I am wondering if whatever is going on with this goat could be causing the eye to atrophy. I've never had a goat with her issues before.
    I had thought about sending her on the meat load with two I sent last week, but was concerned about the little thing in a truck of big boys, so I hung on to her. It just may be time for the freezer. It's just hard for me to think about that. I've grown attached to her.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I got a better look at that eye. It's gone! This is really weird. I see her every day (she's bottle fed in the morning) and never saw any sign of injury or infection. This is on the side of her head that she tilts and the direction she turns when she circles. I'm seriously wondering if her problems are genetic or if it's simply that she did not get enough of something in the womb. She was one of quads. These people use my bucks for service in January.This is the first time we used Elrond. If you folks think it could be genetic, we'll use Gabriel.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What do you mean it is gone???

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

From what you are describing, you are working with a terminal thing.....whether it be genetic induced, or just a defect cause in birthing. All of this is just one persons opinion....but I think what you are seeing here will be irreversible damage, and most likely will only grow worse with time.
    It's really up to you to decide when enough is enough with a goat like this......I think most of us try to give all our animals a fighting chance, and I do too, but there usually comes a point of being trying to be humane and reasonable that gets set aside because we are gonna be heart broken.
    This is part of the business, and it may not happen to you again in the next 20 years......just some things that we just have no control over.

Sorry if this is what you weren't looking for,,, and I would surely seek some more advice from folks with a lot more experience than I.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas anyway.......Whim.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I say her eye is gone - the poening is smaller than a normal goat eye. The inside corner is brownish (blood from bleeding in eye?) I looked again and it seems part of the eye is visible in the outer corner.
    Whim, I don't plan on any heroics with this kid. I've talked with a fellow goat breeder who, while she doesn't like to slaughter goats, is willing to do this and dress out the goat so I can put her in the freezer. We will take care of it after Xmas/holidays as she's very busy now and Snowflake doesn't seem to be in any pain. I'll miss her, but wouldn't breed her anyway with this condition and would rather spend the money on feed for productive goats.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

That would be my way of thinking also.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would not judge my buck at all, with one kid with obvious problems.

The problem with this is that it is heroics. To what end will this doe have a life? Putting animals down at birth can also be about quality of life, not just about that we can save them.

And once you become a breeder and people come to your farm, a doe with problems like this is not looked upon as what a great thing you did, it's more about, hmmm wonder if this is a problem in her herd. Your whole breeding and management program is judged on your worst animal not your best. Vicki

8. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

could the tilting and circling be because she cant see from that side?

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I was almost sure that someone would come on here and call this some type of syndrome, and that it's closely associated with retardation of some kind. Maybe not.

I'm thinking there was a case very similar to this on here back in late Spring of this year....thinking also that the kid eventually died, but it did live a couple months before doing so.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Lee Anne, at first I thought she may be circling and crying as a young baby becaues she could not see. Her eyes both looked normal then and responded to light. She also blinked in both eyes if I put my finger near them. This eye thing seems to have developed recently.
    Whim, one of the reasons I posted this was to see if others had had this problem and if it was typical of some Nubian genetic problem. The dam belongs ot a friend. This buck has not thrown any abnormal kids out of my does. I did post earlier this year about a wether with a parrot mouth who died before reaching market age, but he was out of an unrelated buck and doe. I think he either had a problem with his heart or lungs. He was not retarded. I'm not sure if Snowflake is retarded or if it's just a neurological thing. She responds to her name and comes when called, better than some of my fully functioning Nubians do. I notice she has periods when she is more coordinated and ones when she's not. I've hung onto this kid as long as I've had mostly as an educational experience, since she does not appear to be in pain. It's time to put her in the freezer and I am willing to do this, but it will be hard as I've grown attached to her and her healthy buddy, my Mini Nubian, Mimi will miss her.