Extremly Creamy Milk??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Sep 15, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

My nubians generally have excellent butterfat however recently, last 3 days the milk has actually been too creamy. I have narrowed it down to 2 does, one that freshened in February and the other early April. It is actually so creamy that we can;t drink it. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Paula

2. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Yes--make lots of ice cream! hehe
    Seriously, I'm too new with milk goats to say anything. Good luck!

3. chewie

chewie New Member

i can't imagine milk so creamy i couldn't drink it!! the creamier the better in our house! i can't imagine what's up, but i'm also too new to help. sorry!

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

My dc say some of our milk is too creamy. *I* like it that way. :)

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

We also love creamy milk...but this is just too creamy...I was thinking something must be off or wrong, however, it is headed for the ice cream maker!!

Paula

6. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Late lactation milk is often higher in butterfat.

Christy

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

I bet it would make wonderful cheese. :)

Sara

9. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Also, it seems to me when they get pregnant it gets creamier.

Wendy

10. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I've been trying to figure out why my doe has super creamy milk one day and not the next. It is not so much I can't drink it, but sometimes a noticeable difference from day to day. I haven't figured it out yet though.

Tiffany

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

like Christy said late lactation brings on creamier milk
    But boy do I love that creamy milk

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Creamy milk? sounds wonderful. I'd be freezing that cream...that is, if I had room in my freezer, which I don't. (That is next on the list of things to buy).
    Anita

13. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I really wish my milk clients agreed with us that creamy is great...my kids and my clients do not like it. It is close enough to the holidays to start making gobs of cheese and soap so I guess I will seperate my creamy does milk and use it for ice cream, cheese and soap. And, being the cook I am...sauces..woohoo..I love creamy sauces.

Thanks everyone,

Paula

14. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Hey! This is a good problem - skim the cream off and sell or feed the milk to those who don't like cream. Then make butter, whipped cream, coffee cream, ice cream etc! :D It's healthy too! The fat is a good type of fat that actually reduces and inhibits the cholesteral in the body.

15. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Yes, late lactation the milk butterfat goes up. Or so I hear. I do notice it on mine.
    When I put a batch of milk in the fridge, it gets a very thick layer of cream on top. Scoop it off and save it for all sorts of things. Yum
    Les

16. chewie

chewie New Member

really???? that's great! i've been using mine in coffee--my kids like to say that the only reason they ever see me drink that stuff is when i have a heavy dose of cream for it! tis true, must admit! that is like a milkshake, sooo good! i am surprised some don't like it--then again, my mom thought my goat's milk tasted 'hairy'. (is that a 'taste'??)

17. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Tim, my really creamy doe is your Pruittville Tangerine....This evening, I skimmed the top off, and I'll wait and see what the 2 legged kids say.

Thanks everyone,

Paula

18. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

My word girl, hairy milk? Now, I've had a hair or two in my milk, but honestly, I don't think a person could taste it. Right now I am picturing a nice glass of rich white milk with hair growing out of the center like a curling vine. Yummy.

anita

19. chewie

chewie New Member

hehehe! no no, i use good filters, get it cold, the whole bit...i think if she hadn't *seen* the old girl first she may have liked it, but one look at ol gramma (who is indeedy very hairy!) and eww, yuck! but she loves the soap!

and i am so happy at you-all's response, thought i was the only one with that reaction!

20. All My Nubians give milk like that through their whole lactation. :biggrin (they are the "Jersey cows" of the goat world) Mmmm. I love that creamy stuff. My husband doesn't though. I use quart jars for fridge storeage and I tell him to just shake it up or stir it up. Usually it just sticks to the lid, but then he can pour his glas of milk without that skim of cream on it. But usually, I get to the cream before he gets to the milk. ;) Then he pours from a jar I have already skimmed. I spoon it into my coffee or over my cereal (you won't need any sweetener for your cereal and it makes you feel full longer.) It makes wonderful soap and great cheese. I just hate it when I have to dry the girls off and start buying cow's milk. It seems like I'm drinking chalk water then. I need another freezer to freeze milk for me. Right now my one freezer is full of milk for my kids next kidding season and for soaping.