External Parasites

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jan 7, 2009.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

What are some of the external parasites our goats can get? A friend has a 2 week old Pygmy doeling. She asked me this morning what you do for fleas on a goat. I told her I didn't know. She said her dogs don't have them, but the neighbor's goats do. She then mentioned they are slow moving...I am thinking they aren't fleas.
    Any suggestions for me to give her?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

2. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

not fleas on goats woud be lice or mites and probaby lice
    I dust with DE but ivormec injected is what alot of people use.

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

We have DE will give her some....can her dogs get it from her?? Will she keep getting it if the neighbor's goats (shared fenceline) have it also and they don't treat?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Although we have every other parasite known to man I would worry if you have alot of mites or lice problems, it's not typical for our area. I mean sure you can bring it in on livestock, but with the amount of sunshine we get you would have to be overwintering it in barns that are not cleaned out well enough in the spring and fall.

Think about renting or borrowing or buying a powerwasher and also spraying all surfaces with a really good disenfenctant at least twice a year (tech trol, vicron) or one of the many many ones used on hog and dog farms (Qcsupply.com or even tractor supply).

Super important that you get the flea problem with dogs under control and read to use (I use biospot) by Easter, same with your Fly Bait for your barns and dogs back on wormings so tapes don't become a problem and your flea problems are then nil. If you do this religiously Easter weekend and Thanksgiving (stop the biospot etc...) clean the barn one last time and bed for winter...you won't have nusiance pests.

It's a loosing battle right now, you will have to use chemicals on the goats and their bedding and wait for spring to shave and clean the barns. Vicki

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

My dogs have no fleas....my animals have no visible external parasites (except flies on occasion). My friend's neighbor, though isn't the best caretaker....long story short...my friend's dog bit the ear off (literally off) of the neighbor's bred doe while the neighbor was out of town. They got the doe (Pygmy Nub cross) and took her to the vet, she kidded the day after Christmas. This particular doe's mom was bred, kidded Christmas eve...her baby was crushed under a fallen piece of plywood the day the injured doe kidded....he bought a pygmy baby born the Christmas eve thinking the momma with the dead baby would take it, no luck...so he gave it to my friend. They wanted to keep the baby of the goat they were taking care of, but he decided he wanted her and gave them the Pygmy. Cute little thing (my chickens are bigger than this 2 week old kid!)