Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the whole registration thing. I have a registered grade nubian doe. Can she or her offspring ever be registered as anything else? Also, could someone give a clear explanation of how each (grade, American, purebred) is classified; what the criteria is? Thanks so much!

· Registered
993 Posts
Eventually after breeding a grade doe to a certain breed buck (non grade) you can register them as American. There are upgrade scales to determine how many generations of offspring it will take. And this varies between dairy and meat goat breeds.

American means that the goat has met the criteria for meeting the standards of the breed after "X" amount of generations. Pure means that the goat has never been bred to American, just strictly pure lines. Hope this helps.

· Registered
149 Posts
It sounds like what you have may be a "Recorded Grade,".......or it may be a 50% or 75% grade. If the offspring are continually bred to either an American or Purebred Nubian, then after a certain number of generations, the offspring can be registered as American. The future generatoins from that animal can never be registered as purebred. A purebred means that every line of the pedigree traces back to a purebred Nubian.

I do not remember how many generations in takes to change from Grade to American............it has been many years since I had animals that were 50% and 75%. I am sure that someone else on here can help us out.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
If the animal is grade, it can be Recorded Grade NOA(Mative on Appearance) or NOP (Native on Production), or it can have recorded American or Purebred parents that gave it a percentage of grade- like 50 or 75. Of course, the percentage could be less if it started as a Grade Experimental. (an experimental is a cross between two Americans or Purebreds or and Americanor Purebred and a Recorded Grade.) For our sanity, I am going to pretend your animal is a percentage Grade Nubian. (The percentage will be listed on top of their registration papers.)
So if you have a 50 percent, and you cross them to an American or Purebred, the offspring will be 75 percent. If you cross the offspring to an American or Purebred then those kids will be 87.5 percent Nubian, which makes them American (7/8 Nubian). Since the herd book is closed, the offspring (from a registered Nubian buck) after that will remain Americans. Purebreds are animals that were in the herdbook before it was 'closed'.
This is from the ADGA Rules:
AMERICAN NUBIAN
Animals may be registered in this section of the herd book when they qualify under any of the following provisions:
a. When the sire and the dam are registered as American Nubians.
b. When one parent is an American Nubian and the other is a purebred Nubian.
c. Females only can be registered when the sire is an American or purebred Nubian and the dam is a 3/4 (or higher) Nubian in the Grade, Grade Experimental or Experimental herd book. The doe to be registered, as well as the dam and the maternal grandam, must be of correct Nubian type (see H. Note 1).

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys. So, I haven't sent in my doe's papers yet, so I don't know her percent. Her sire was a grade nubian and her dam was a registered purebred nubian. I'm just wondering what my doe's kids will be. She is bred to a registered purebred buck. Does that info help?

· Registered
1,004 Posts
The sire will be unknown, as you can't register a grade buck. She will be 50 percent grade Nubian and her kids will be 75 percent. Of course they have to have proper breed character (pendulous ears).

· Registered
747 Posts
One more clarification.
0% Nubian (NOA/NOP/unregistered) bred to Purebred/American= 50% Grade *doelings*
50% Grade *Doe* bred to Purebred/American buck= 75% Grade *doelings*
75% Grade *Doe* bred to Purebred/American buck= American *doelings* (bucklings are still grade and unrecordable
American doe bred to Purebred/American buck= American doelings and bucklings.
Americans cannot be bred up to Purebred in the Nubian herdbook.
With each generation the offspring must conform to the Nubian breed standard to advance.

· Buck
1,335 Posts
Some good explanations above but if you are an ADGA member just have a look in your guidebook - the requirements are detailed there for every breed.

A brief explanation can be found here http://adga.org/RegistrationApplicationInstructions.htm but you really need to see the guidebook for details (I am not sure of anywhere to find it online)

· Registered
1,004 Posts
It is a PDF, accessed from adga.org, under member services. Not everyone with registered goats is a member ;)

http://adga.org/guidebook08.pdf

If you search for your breed it jumps to the different sections a bit more quickly. There is a section on Grades/ Experimentals & Americans.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'm getting it figured out. So, because my doe's sire was grade and her dam was PB, my doe is 50% grade. So here's my question: In order for her offspring to be eventually registered as American, does she need to be registered (or is it recorded since she is grade?) with ADGA?

· Registered
120 Posts
If you register her, her babies will be 75%. If not then her babies could only be registered as 50% and their dam listed as unknown. So, either way they could make it to American but if you don't register her it will take one more generation to make it there.
Jacquelynn

· Registered
1,004 Posts
And her kids can never be American, but her descendents can be.

· Registered
350 Posts
The way to think about all those terms is to recognize that they are all about what records of ancestry are available. Purebred animals have records of ancestors (theoretically) all the way back to importation or more. The others will have records of fewer numbers of generations or none.

· Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like what you have may be a "Recorded Grade,".......or it may be a 50% or 75% grade. If the offspring are continually bred to either an American or Purebred Nubian, then after a certain number of generations, the offspring can be registered as American. The future generatoins from that animal can never be registered as purebred. A purebred means that every line of the pedigree traces back to a purebred Nubian.

I do not remember how many generations in takes to change from Grade to American............it has been many years since I had animals that were 50% and 75%. I am sure that someone else on here can help us out.
Almost correct. I am also a registry of dairy goats and we have been since 1980. With ADGA most of their herdbooks are closed. Nubian is one that is Closed. What that means is that no new offspring form non-ADGA or non-AGS or non-Canadian Goat Society Nubians may enter the ADGA Purebred herdbook. So correct that the Grade Nubian descendants after the (simple average) amount is met. However, the resulting offspring may never be in the ADGA Purebred herdbook, because that herdbook has been closed for many years. With my registry, our herdbooks are open, so the resulting descendants can in fact move to the Purebred herdbook.

Also there is not such a thing as a Nubian (or most modern breeds) was always a Purebred. All breeds that we use are created originally by breeding multiple breeds together in a closed environment, to obtain a breed (in this case Nubian) that displays specific characteristics that are desired for that breed. That usually takes about 7 generations to create a stable set of characteristics. So Nubian was not always Purebred.

Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts