Experimental batches

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Linda Carney, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

I just bought some natural colorants and want to see what they look like in CP soap. What is the best way to see the result without wasting a lot? I was thinking that if I did a no scent batch and separated it out, then used individual molds, it might be cost effective. Any suggestions.

Also when you have a small one ounce sample do you ever shrink your batch size to see what it smells like in soap?

--Linda

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

When I want to test small amounts of fragrance or colors.. I make a three or four pound batch of soap.. using one oz of fragrance per pound of soap.. makes about three or four bars of soap..
    Testing colors I do the same thing.. make a batch of soap, split it up into thirds or fourths.. 1 pound of soap.. take notes on how much color i add.. and make unscented.. this i use later cubed or shredded to add to other soap.. also know how much color I added to one pound of soap, So I know if I need a little more color, less color etc.
    Barbara

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make the 7 pound wallmart recipe.
    Get 7 Jack in the box cups, don't use solo cups :) Fill each with water using your scale to 17.5 ounces or whatever your wallmart recipie with water or milk comes to, and make a mark on each cup.
    Pour very lightly traced soap evenly into each up to the fill line. As you add your scent with a spoon, pour into waiting single pour silicone molds for the next holiday....Valentines day hearts or roses which can be used for Valentines and Mothers day. Vicki

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

One loaf for me is about 7.5 cups with a discount. I just got a couple of one ounce testers from Aroma haven and use mineral oiled pringle cans for them - it filled about 2/3 full and gave me 5 good 1 inch thick bars. Fun to peel the can off too! It's easy for me to just use half my recipe because then I just double what I did to make one loaf (but then I double that or more as I mostly make 2 or four loaves of one kind at a time) I figure anything I don't love I will just clearance out and my customers will find what I do love to be novelty because it's a round bar. I think I want to make some PVC for this though - we don't eat very many pringles!

I would do the same with coloring, BUT I have found it is not always the same if you divide it up in smaller batches and use a different mold that you normally do. Some colors I have used morph or all but disappear in the gel of my wood molds. Silicone or a pringles can would not have the same effect. I usually just risk it with color and do what I think will work in a full loaf.

5. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

Wonderful ideas! I almost feel like I am in a new country -- I want to see and smell EVERYTHING! LOL! I am anxious to see what results these colorants give me. Thanks!

Linda

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I tested 9 new scents at one time. I resized my recipe to make 9 - 4 oz bars of soap (for which I had individual molds for), I poured 4 oz of my barely traced soap into a smaller bowl, added scent, then poured into the mold. Worked fine though I had to move quickly.

I did the same thing to compare soap with clays and TD added to see the diff in color. I have not done it with micas or UMs just because it takes so little with them I'm afraid it wouldn't be very accurate.

7. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

For 1oz samples I makeup a up a 3 to 5 lbs batch then I divied the batch at a light trace, the batch size debends on how many samples I have.

I then add the 1oz FO in and pour into pringles cans. I really like pringles can!

2/3 pringles can is about 25 oz of soap.