Experiment gone awry

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sheryl, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

lol
    okay so mom's sewing :) and well I experimented with the wal mart recipe last night hahah this was not pretty now mind ya I've just been watching her make the soap but I wanna make soap as well and you gotta start somewhere.... I washed everything, ran it through the lye calculator, made my lye water, weighed it all out and then went for it Oh this was bad bad bad bad BAD!!!! We have what is supposed to be an 8oz bottle of cinnamon leaf essential oil well I do believe this is mislabelled it smelled kinda odd at first but figured that OOB it would smell better..... WRONG boy oh boy oh boy was I WRONG! so here was my original plan I had an organic coffee that I ground really really fine I was just gonna put a small amount in there to make it somewhat exfoliating and I was like well just a touch of the cinnamon for a little scent but not much cause I've read that cinnamon essential oil can be hot to the skin and I seem to recall reading that too much of it on your skin can affect people with high blood pressure so I was attempting to be careful..... Well I have a hard time recognizing trace so when I thought I didn't have trace I actually did WELL I added the Fo and it started gelling in the bucket I was attempting a layered look (dark brown, creamy white, dark brown) that didn't happen it was just thrown in the mold as quick as possible and attempted a layer look..................This was a HARD solidifying GEL in the Bucket it is not a pretty soap

NOW the reason I say the bottle of EO is mislabelled is because I now have yucky soap that smells like a big CLOVE FART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the whole house reeks and it's not pretty..... SO Any suggestions on what to do with this soap????

Recipe is as follows:

14oz water
    7oz goat milk
    24 oz coconut oil
    8oz shea butter
    24oz lard
    8.3 oz lye (that was how much the lye calculator told me to use)
    1oz of what was supposed to be cinnamon leaf essential oil (but It smells more like clove)
    2-3 Tbs of Coffee Grounds

Mom says I'm not allowed to experiment anymore without supervision :rofl (mind you I'm 27)

Happy Sudsing,
    Brandi

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Hi Brandi,

The main reason this happened is that Clove EO accelerates. Once you add it you have to pour FAST. If your oils were very warm, like the heat you would need to melt the 100% hard oils in your recipe, that just makes the Clove EO even more difficult.

Also, your recipe is 43% coconut oil which could make it very drying. It is best to keep coconut to about 30%

I hope things go better for you on your next try :D

Christy

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh dear. And that was a good sized batch too! My advice....when experimenting, do it in small batches. Like 1 pound. I still do that any time I test a new scent unless someone who has used it says it's not a problem.

Maybe it could be chunked up and added to some pumpkin soap? But that would be a whole lot of pumpkin soap.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Brandi Please go register under your own name!! Thanks

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Sorry, we use the same computer, and read the posts together, didn't think it would be a problem. :blush

Sheryl

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Not a problem at all Sheryl just a suggestion on my part.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would put it through the food processor so you have little shreds, and then use it for years :) in soap. The Pumpkin sounds wonderful but so does your coffee soap idea! Coffee and shreds of clove, a white inner layered soap and then a top layer of more coffee and clove shreds. Put your coffee exfoliate into the center white/cream center! Vicki