Experience with Lutalyse-

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by J-Basqo, May 11, 2008.

1. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I have a doe with an exact due date (for like, the first time ever!! YAY!) and I want to lute her so she she kids on her due date which is a day I am home from work. I have read the norm is 36hours. What I want to know is are they going to give the same signs they do when going into labor when induced by their own hormones?? i.e Ligs disappearing and udder filling withing 12-24 hours etc or if it tends to happen faster and closer to kidding. I wanted to know if it would be safe to leave the day before (12-24hrs from injection) if she looked normal or if it can come unexpected and I need to be by her side until she kids (well checking every few hours but you know what I mean!)?? I know there is exceptions and differences within individual goats but I wanted to know what the "usual" experience/routine is.
    Also is the Lute and Dex shots just given anywhere IM or is there a "best" way to do it. (I usually inject IM into the neck muscle but I have thought about doing back of thigh on the Milk stand??)
    Thanks!!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I wouldn't give Lute or Dex in the neck muscle. I use a thigh muscle. Lute stings. Knock on wood....I've never had an abcess from either...but as sure as I gave it in the neck..bingo. ALWAYS GIVE HORMONES IM! And make darn sure you get it in the muscle and not fat.

From time of shot to kidding can vary in does, depending on # of kids, and due date...but 32hrs. is the earliest I've had kids born. Longest was 42hrs. a few years back when I was having calcium issues. I give the does their shots and turn them back with the herd. At dark, of the day of shots, they are put into the kidding pens and left the next morning until they kid. You will not get kids in 12-18 hr time frame from the shots~unless she is already in labor before you give the shots.

Some you will get all the classical signs of labor...some you will not! Ligs...I don't pay any attention to. Udders will fill up between the shot and kidding. Only way you know on those does, YOU GAVE the shots......and unless they aren't bred, YOU WILL GET KIDS.
    Kaye

3. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Ok, that is what I needed to know. She is due Monday the 19th. I intend to give her lute LATE before I go to bed on saterday night so she will "ideally" kid mid morning on Monday, but we have something going on Sunday and I didnt know if it was safe to leave for a while if she looked fine Sun AM or if I shouldnt leave the farm at all. But it sounds like she "should" be ok, unless she is starting getting ready Saterday at time of inj. I guess I will just have to make that call when the time comes!:) I will put her on the milk stand and give it to her in the butt! Same with the dex??
    Thanks!
    Patina