Exciting but scary news!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Jan 1, 2009.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :D
    It looks like I'll be getting a new rare breed milk breed ram-I won't even say how much he's costing, the scary part!-he'll be hopefully be upping my herds average milk yield by up to 100 litres per ewe :D Still I'm going to have to delay some of my other plans (and sell more soap :crazy)-hopefully it will be well worth it!
    Vanessa

2. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations!!
    and you know we want pictures.

4. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I'll post pic's when he arrives :) (they are sort of like the Nubians of the sheep world, very big ears!)
    Vanessa

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

So you milk sheep and make soap out of sheep milk? That is really cool. I ate goose eggs for the first time the other day. A client gave them to me. Couldn't really tell the difference. People think I'm crazy for bring goat milk and goat cheese to work...now, that would be even better if it were sheep milk and cheese! Yes, pictures please.
    Anita

6. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Yeah people think I'm a bit crazy! LOL It's nice having a board to share my excitement on........and not get looked at weird :) Well I can’t really tell wether I’m being looked at weird but still!
    Vanessa

7. togg75

togg75 Guest

The monitors are hiding our weird glares....... :crazy

Sounds awesome.

8. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

How cool! A friend of mine is opening up a sheep dairy in the spring! She has her milkroom all set up, and will be sending the milk to a local Jersey dairy/cheese plant, where they will make it into cheese for her!
    She is using most Friesians.

9. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

10. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Not uncommon. :) Friend of mine who gave me my first goats milked sheep for a while, gave it up when he found out that the old beams in his barn were worth more then a couple gallons of milk aday. :nooo So when the last barn was ready to fall he got out of livestock. Its to bad him & his wife split up this year as he had lots of greenhouses he could have kept some goats in. :crazy They were very nice people letting me have run of their farm when ever I got bored next door at my uncles. ;) Lots of watching lambs and walking the back pasture, petting the odd Donkey or pony.. He used wool breeds and started milking after they started weaning their lambs so out of the 20-30+ ewes he had he was lucky to get 2 gallons! Funny thing is the first goat he gave me has a doe in my herd now, who I have projected to milk the 2 gallons this year! This year as a FF doe she was milking 12 pounds at her peak, not bad for a totalally free goat! They went away and he asked if I would watch his dog & cat and in return he gave me my first 2 does. That fall friends of ours went away and sent their still milking Saanen here for about a month... In return for that we took our two does to get bred by their buck, only to find out he was sired by a famous Nubian who adds lots of milk to his grandkids... (Not so much to his kids, but everyone of his grandkids are milking heavy. Go figure? :really)

Congrats, I will need to see some pictures! I googled the breed and found both horned and polled types????

11. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

In Australia Awassi's are extremely rare, and yes he is of the same breed of the NZ webpage-only he's of the horned type and has a set of curlies to be reckoned with LOL And when I google I get nothing! I wonder why?
    Vanessa

12. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

The same pictures came up as those posted in the website link, and a couple other pictures of the horned type.

13. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I think I've just figured it out! In the Awassi the ewes are polled and the rams are horned-quite common in sheep but not in goats!
    Vanessa

14. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

We have Tunis sheep! They look a little like yours...red with floppy ears. They are a dual purpose (meat and fiber) but also have been used as dairy. I don't know how ours would be as milkers! They don't seem to have the udder like the Awassi and ours are W-I-L-D! :) http://www.tunissheep.org/Press/Tunis Sheep family.JPG (these are not our sheep, just a picture to show you). There is a sheep dairy in our area. We hope to go visit them when they start milking again. They make cheese and soap products. Sheep are cool but not as much fun as goats. ;)