Ever have one of those days - is an UNDERSTATEMENT

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Odeon, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Odeon

Odeon New Member

We moved to our acreage a year and a half ago, and the lot (1.3 acres) next to us was in repo - bare land. I have been DROOLING over it since we moved here...I had it all planned out on how when it became available, we would purchase it, and use it for the haybarn, buck pens, etc. We have even been saving for it, so we could just pay for it....

Well today our neighbor came over braggng how cheaply they purchased it for today at auction.. a mere $14,000! I am physically ill. No word of said auction, no notices, nothing... he just happened to "hear about it"...

I can just picture the house that will soon be built, right next to our barn... URGH! Kill me now!

Ken

Drowning my sorrows in a dry Martini at the moment... Ken

2. Katarina

Katarina New Member

oh...I am so sorry...I have been coveting/praying for the land to the east of us ever since we moved in...

3. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Careful, I learned the "thou shalt not covet" the hard way!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH Ken am so sorry not much help but at least we are thinking abt you

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sorry Ken......We have a simular situation here too......I think you would be wise as to build a nice sloppy hog pen over on that side of your property before the house gets started ........Lots of folks just don't like hogs, or the smell of them every time they walk out of the house. Might still can get that place at a good price if you know what I mean.
    Whim was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night. :goat

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We have a two story house right on our fenceline, they built before the fences were up, deep woods so you really couldn't see a boundry. When we fenced their septic lines are in our property. We have stratgically placed my husbands shop to give us privacy.

Perhaps start praying that they are nice, keep to themselves, the best kind of neighbors! Vicki

7. Truly

Truly New Member

What a total bummer Ken. Everything happens for a reason... well we can hope.

8. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Thanks everyone, I also believe everything happens for a reason.... Still sucks tho! LOL

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Want to move to Ny ?? Land is still cheap . 400 a 2houses and barns {all need work} , river frontage went for 325,000 I would love goatie neighbors.

Patty

PS I know of 150 a farm for 150,000

10. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I know of 150 a farm for 150,000!!! Sign me up!!! Now can you find me a Tech Writing or Planning job?????? lol

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Can you be employed by the military ??? Best jobs around .Look up Watertown or Ft Drum NY , sure we can find you something .

12. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I'll need to see if I could convince the spouse and son to move that far East. Tempting tho...

Not to sure about the Military tho.... the don't ask, don't tell thing could be an issue! ;)

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Hubby is retired military and still works on base. If you were in service you get bonus points when jobs open up . Good pay good benifits. Not to much poking into your buisness.

I always dream of moving west thinking that it would be cheaper ..guess I need a new dream .

Patty

14. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I think there are affordable places most everywhere, if and when you can find them. We had looked at a farm in Iowa that went VERY reasonably...

NY does sound nice tho, there are some lovely areas there..... Idaho is pretty much desert, unless you are in the mountains... Not sure if I could handle a "real" winter! Haven't seen one of those here in the valley in YEARS!

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I can't stand neighbors close to me either. There is a new house gonna be built on the acreage next to/behind us. it is not where we can see it unless we go out of our way to go look, but it is just knowing it is there. We jokingly talked about the sloppy pig pen idea ourselves and also moving all our junk cars and such up where they would see them. The very reason they are putting the house where they are instead on the land they also own across the road is because we are quiet and don't use loud 4-wheelers like other folks around here. So our very quiet nature has come back to kick us in the butts! Holler goats holler! Stink bucks stink! We will not go quietly into that good night...

16. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Bummer, Ken. Makes me darn happy we have as much property as we do. Even if someone built on the property line, they'd still be almost a mile away. The one closer side is owned by a big sheep/cow corp, so nothing likely there.

And like you said -- aren't many who will take the winters! We seem to have a lot of folks who move here, stay a winter, and move quick! If you are bundled up in a parka and a snow suit on a sunny 35-40 degree day, you're in trouble! We chuckle when we see them at the post office :)

Tracy

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I would be in trouble :blush