entropian eyelid fix?(w/o surgery)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Leo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Leo

Leo New Member

Okay before I do some damage. I have a two day old, bouncy, eating well, when she was born I noticed that her eyelids looked puffy, at first I thought flipped eyelid, but it looked like it wasn't flipped.

Today, one eye is watery and I was messing with her lids, but then DS has been sick for the past two days as well and started to cry and she of course got wiggly and wouldn't hold still. So from what I could tell it looks like a few eyelashes are causing her discomfort. So the only time I dealt with this was years ago, and the doe required surgery, not related to her. Is there way to fix this w/o surgery? And chances of heritibility?
    Here's a pic of her eye:(edited to add, this is the eye that is bothering her)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Megan

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

It's hard for me to tell by the picture, but I think Vicki does something using glue.. maybe she'll pop in here and explain it!

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have only had two of these, and then fixed another for someone else. The first 'cure' is busy work, which I don't do well at...you put the kid in your lap and with some force and dry fingers you roll the lid back and out so the lashes on the eyelid, it is always the top lid, is in the right position and not with the lashes scratching the eyeball. If you do this often enough and with good enough force to stretch this lid, and not pop the eyeball out, it will stay. I also saw it done with superglue, same premise but you roll the lid back onto superglue put down the top eyelid like eyeliner...now if you open the eye to much and she can't close it, than it's bad....and sorry but me and superglue, I am just not that talented, perhaps if I wore eyeliner ever :)

I take a pair of surgical scissors, cuticle size. I take the eyelid, and pull it out from the eye, and simply snip the lid, like opening up the button on the top of your pants after eating too much. A tiny as small as you can get slit that gives the top of the eyelid room so the eyelashes flip up and not down. A couple of pea size spreads of teremycin eye ointment in the eye and you will never see you did this. You want to get through the first part of the lid that holds the eyelashes if you look carefully it is actually a little rim...this rim on your kid is too tight, so if you snip it...I did it right in the middle of the lid at 12:00 if you look at the eye as a clock, and by day two I had to get my glasses to even see that there was a problem. This is hereditary, but I have not seen it but in one Nubian kid a few years back and a Lamancha kid years back, I would think if it was very heritable I would have seen it again the volume of kids I have in both breeds. Vicki

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

try and roll the lashes out first of all, and if you put meds in the eye like what is it teramyacin, that will help hold the lashes out and lube the eye lessening the irratation. rolling it outward and such a few times is Usually all they need. I think Vicky does use glue , and a snip it off method. If it needs it. try the other first : )

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

neosporin will also work

6. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for all the responses!! Earlier today I tried rolling it over and over again to see if it'll stick, but it doesn't stay by itself of course. I'll have to buy some superglue, but I'll try the teremycin while I wait for DH to get home.
    Thank you again!!
    Megan

edit to add: The superglue is still holding well, and her eye looks sooo much better!(No more tearing or pawing at her eye) Thanks!

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

of course you know a vet would have a fit super glue lol!

8. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Glad her eye is better. Superglue or duct tape can fix anything...

9. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

Yeah for superglue!!!....and for duct tape. My Dad used those for fixing things all the time while I was growing up. He calls it "shanty Irish make shift." :lol

Glad your little one is doing better!

Christina

10. Leo

Leo New Member

Yeah, Wow, it worked better than I thought it would:
    [​IMG]
    Her eye looks normal. :D
    Thanks!
    Megan

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Now that photo makes me excited for kidding season. :)

Glad it worked out for you.

Sara

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

She is lovely Megan :) I'm happy you got it fixed.

Christy

13. Leo

Leo New Member

Thanks. She's a sweety.
    Megan

14. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

We fixed entropian in a new born lamb. I injected a small amount of Penn just under the eyelid to create a bulge. By the time the Penn was absorbed, the eyelids were normal! I found the instructions on line or in our sheep book. It was scary but cool that it was a success.

15. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

:handclap she is nice looking
    Deana

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah good job pretty doeling

17. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

What a lil beauty !!
    Dang she makes me want kids and .... a Nubie :cool

18. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Congratulations! And isn't it nice to know that you don't have a fat vet bill to go with it?!!

She is a pretty thing!

19. Leo

Leo New Member

A resounding Yes! :biggrin