Enough milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, May 27, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Well the good news is my milk customers are growing in number. The bad news is I'm afraid they'll soon outnumber the amount of milk I have (which isn't a lot by any means, since we've just started out).

My girls are raising their own babies. When Sugar freshened in January, after a couple weeks, I started separating the babies at night, and milking her out once a day. She had twins. She produced more than enough milk for us and the babies, so it wasn't a worry.

Now, Cinnamon has freshened and the babies are two weeks old today. I would like to start doing the same with her, but she had triplets. I worry that if I take milk each morning, she won't have enough - but I don't know what is enough for the babies. Cinnamon gave about a gallon a day during her second freshening (I bought her already milking and the babies were sold separately). So I expect her to do the same or a little better this time around. I have never seen the babies (triplets) empty her out, or even look like she's lacking in milk so far, so I am pretty sure at this point we could milk and they'd be fine. But I wonder as they get bigger, will I be able to do that still?

I'd like to have her some of her milk, but since she's feeding triplets, I want to make sure they have enough. What do you think? Is a gallon a day enough to feed triplets and still let us have some? And if so, as the babies get bigger, will it still be enough?
    Kathy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The goat usually will either hold back from you or start producing more to accommodate the babies. it is a supply on demand sort of thing. So yes I would milk her once a day/

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Okay, thanks Sondra :) I'll start milking her tonight or tomorrow morning then.
    Kathy

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Make sure she is getting enough feed to replenish herself . As a rule of thumb here, when I put more demand on a doe for milk, I usually increase her feed by adding more alfalfa (calcium rich)......and maybe just a little more grain, but be careful not to over do the grain thing.....and step it up slowly.

Whim

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

very true and good advice

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are they triplet girls? Sell the boys so you can have more milk to sell! Vicki

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I agree get rid of the kids you don't need to have more milk to sell. I have the opposite problem, I have tons of milk and onlyh 15-20 gallons going out each week and I am getting 6 gallons a day out of 7 goats so 42 gallons in 7 days, WOW....still feeding 4 kids b/c I have so much and hopefully get a calf or two soon and freezing LOTS.

Autumn

8. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Yes, actually they are :) I was tickled pink to get them, too :). I'm planning on keeping all of them, at least through their first freshenings.... then I might sell one or two as family milkers.
    Kathy

9. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Oh I forgot - yes, Whim, I am upping her grain some. She's already getting 3lbs alfalfa a day (more like free choice, since there are days she doesn't finish it all), and I am slowly increasing her grain to accommodate for the extra milk. Thanks for the reminder :)
    Kathy