Emergeny Help Needed.... Doe kidded early...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by TSYORK, May 21, 2008.

1. TSYORK

TSYORK New Member

I have a boer cross doe that was bred to a Lamancha buck probably between Jan 3-5. Of course, she was due to kid around June 1st. Yesterday, when I got home from work, I went to check all the critters and found "Jennie" with blood all down her back; she had kidded out two beautiful doelings, but they are two weeks early. They seem fully formed on the outside, except the bottom of their hooves seems a little soft. The mother has rejected them both and will have nothing to do with them; she hasn't produced hardly any milk anyway. Thank God, I have another doe that I am milking; she gives a gallon a day. I got a good bit of colostrum in both of the doelings. They're hollering, crying, sleeping, and sucking as any normal baby would. Miracle weighed 4.5 pounds and Hope weighed 3.5 pounds. We are feeding every four hours. I'm cautiously optimistic that they will pull through, but Miracle stood on her own this morning.

Any suggestions on what to do?

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It sounds like they are doing well.

A few years ago I had a doe kid 15 days early. The buck was dead when born but the doe was healthy and never missed a beat. I didn't have to do much 'extra' to keep her alive. I did have to give her an enema as she wasn't pooping so watch for that. Keep them warm and fed.

Good luck.

Sara

3. TSYORK

TSYORK New Member

What's the best way to administer and what kind of enema to give?

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I like the Fleet baby enemas. I get them at Wal-Mart.

I have also used mineral oil in a syringe (without needle of course) and a nasal adapter thing that comes with naselgen and that works well too. (I get the nasal things free from my vet.) You won't need much and it works almost instantly.

Are they pooping?

Sara

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Keep them warm. Preemies are notoriously bad at regulating their body temp, so can seem fine and then 1/2 hour later they will crash.

Camille

6. TSYORK

TSYORK New Member

They are warm and really nursing vigorously. Hope has had three bowel movements, but Miracle has not had one yet, so I guess she should get an enema. Hope stood up three times on her own. Miracle does seem a little weaker than hope. My wife said they are still doing much better than when we found them yesterday.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Give them some BoSe and warm soapy water works well for enema also 3 cc is what I use.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I had a preemie doeling, I gave her a shot of dex to help her lungs develop. Kathie

9. TSYORK

TSYORK New Member

Thanks to all for your advice and expertise, but the little cuties just couldn't pull through; they both died early this morning. This was our first set of twin does, and I really really needed does, but I'll just have to accept what happened. I do realize things could be worse and it was just a farm animal, but you sure do get attached to your critters.

10. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:sniffle So sorry you lost them...some things just happen and we all understand...Sorry again..

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Am sorry you lost them. They usually being born that much too early just never make it. I had triplets this year also two died right away that the 3rd one by the next morning dex also didn't help. So don't beat yourself up it just wasn't meant to be.

12. Sorry to hear about your babies. Tammy

13. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Vicki in NC

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

A sad thing. So sorry... and doelings too. :(

15. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

So Sorry for the doelings and you Shane. :(