EMERGENCY - Help with down buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by eliya, Aug 5, 2008.

1. eliya

eliya New Member

I have a three year old MiniNubian buck (Jasper) that is very sick. I was gone for a few days and my 10 year old brother was doing chores. He does a good job with chores so I don't think this has anything to do with him - I just wasn't here so of course I didn't notice any symptoms before this morning. My brother said the buck was fine last night (or at least he didn't notice anything).

This morning when I went to his pen, Jasper would not get up. So I went to him and tried to get him to get up. Nope. He seemed really weak and like he couldn't get up. I pulled him out of the hole he was lying in (he was lying part way in one of the holes that my LDG digs in the corner of the shelter).

Jasper's eyes seemed sunken in and I noticed that he had fresh scours on his tail and backside. I got some lactated ringers from the vet and he has had 2000 ml of those this morning (per vet's recommendation). She said to give him another 1000 tomorrow. He seemed to improve a little but not much. He was at least holding his head up. But now he is laying with his head stretched out again and is lying on his side. I hate to see any goat looking like that. He did drink a little water and I have given him some electrolytes. He is not at all interested in hay. When I went out there a few minutes ago, he had pooped a little, but all there was was clear and/or mucusy (sp). What is wrong with him and what is my next step???

The only vet in my area that does goats is a dog and cat vet. She thinks he's just dehydrated and the LRS should take care of the problem, but I think there might be something more going on.

Oh, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the flies are all over him. Especially his nose and mouth. I have put some natural fly spray (horse spray) on him and it seemed to help a little, but they are still thick.

I really would hate to loose this buck. I am very attached to him and he is key to my breeding program. I just LOVE him. He's such a sweetie and throws such GORGEOUS kids. Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Bucks are pretty bomb proof.

Their feed....urinary calculi, bloat, entero, starvation.
    Their water....it's dirty and they won't drink it, urinary calculi, dehydration.
    Worms and cocci. Bucks and esepcially 3 year olds simply don't have things wrong with them, unless bit by a snake, hit by lightening :) and really weird things like this.

I would get him to the vet and get him hydrated correctly you then can continue the subq at home. Get afecal test done and get him wormed for what is ailing him.

What color are his membranes in his eyes, got to goatkeeping 101 and check out the Famacha anemia chart. Waht are you worming with? Vicki

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Have you taken his temperature? This would help to determine if he needs antibiotics. How is his breathing?

In the meantime, give him B-complex, both sub Q and orally. Keep up the gatorade drench, and mix in some Nutridrench or Karo Syrup for energy.

A little more info would be helpful... I just had to help a 4-H kid with her Fair wether - change in weather and he somehow got sick. We used antibiotics and lost of nutritional support including LR . He is up now and eating like a horse.

4. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks everyone, but he's gone. I can't stop crying.

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:down :down I'm so sorry

6. Belle

Belle New Member

Thats terrible, I'm so sorry for your loss :down

7. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

I am so sorry :down. I lost one of my 4yr old bucks to something around the 3rd of July and it ALMOST got one of my other 4yr old bucks also. It hit just as fast as with your Jasper. I noticed he was a wee bit off but nothing much and I pegged it to heat being as it was 100 degrees out. 3 days later he was gone. My other buck went from being ok weight (had a hard rut trying to get bulk on him) to being skin and bones in a matter of days with scours like water, sunken eyes, and just no will to do anything. Didn't eat for a couple of days either but we pulled him out of it. He is on the road to recovery now and putting his lost weight back on.

Thankfully it didn't hit any of my other bucks in the same pen but what ever it was hit fast and it hit hard. I feel your pain :sniffle. Loosing Boitano was a hit to my breeding program also. I only had a handful of kids out of him I kept this year (first time using him in my herd...got him from a friend) so thankfully I have 2 daughters, 1 granddaughter, and a son out of him. Telling my friend about what happened was the hardest. She had loved that buck. <<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>

Justine

8. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Oh, so sorry for you! Sometimes things just happen so fast. :sniffle :( :down
    Kristin

9. susie

susie New Member

Oh I'm SO sorry :(

Susie

10. shawhee

shawhee Member

So sorry - hugs

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh no...so sorry to read this.

12. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

So sorry about your loss.

Tamera

13. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

eliya, I am sorry for the sad ending. Jasper was well loved :sniffle

14. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I am so sorry - hugs.

Are you planning to have the vet do a necropsy so you can find out why?

Anne

15. donna

donna Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

16. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Sorry you lost your buck
    Sherrie

17. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks everyone for your sympathy!

Anne, I don't think I'm going to do a necropsy this time. I had a huge vet bill earlier this year with a favorite doe who broke her leg and needed lots of x-rays etc. I just don't think I can afford to do the necropsy now. I am going to do a fecal on the other bucks in case it was parasite related. We've had crazy weather this year and parasite control has been a struggle.

Thanks again everyone!

18. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

So very very sorry you lost your buck. :down

Vicki in NC