elastrator de-horning report

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rose, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

We had not been brave enough when we tried burning horn buds, so we used the elastrator bands on what grew back. Most of them are doing just fine, but my LaMancha doeling knocked her head into a fence this morning and pressed the almost-loose elastrated horns sideways. She screamed and ran for the goat shed.

I finally managed to catch her and restrain her on the milk stand. It was awful. Had to hobble her, tie her head, and secure her front feet, and she was screaming bloody murder with blood dripping down the side of her head.

Using scissors, I clipped off the remaining skin that held the horn dangling from her head. More screaming.

Luckily, I had banamine and tetanus shots available.

I sprayed it with Furall and crunched up a stiptic pencil end and got it to stop bleeding.

I'm going to have to hire someone to do disbudding. It is not something I can do successfully - either method.

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh poor thing! And poor you!!! I don't think *I* could disbud. That job belongs to dh and dd.

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Ugh! Broken horns always bleed a lot. My bucks have broken off scurs a few times and it looks like a massacre in their pen afterwards.

Disbudding is not fun...but better than the above. I hate it with a passion. But once you get the nerves burned through, they really don't seem to feel the 2nd half.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

my hubby won't do it. Or give shots, I have to do all that. You can learn really you can. I know it is hard. I had to learn it by a book with No teacher to show me, and here on the Net is only a step better really.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

THAT is exactly why I hate to see someone put the bands on goat's horns. I did it YEARS ago to one doe and swore when that thing finally had to have the last bit of skin cut through to get the horn off...THAT I'D NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

I will even wire-saw and burn scurs rather than put bands on them.
    Kaye

6. Rose

Rose New Member

I can testify that today's screaming was worse than the screaming done when burning. I'll just get assistance for burning them as itty bitty kids.

Today's lesson cured me of elastrators. :/

7. If you happen to already be in MO. when the does kid. I'll burn them for you.
    susie mo ozarks

8. Rose

Rose New Member

Susie,
    I'll take you up on that!!

It was awful. She won't even look at us now or let us get close. It's going to take LOTS of rehab and raisins to get her to trust us again. This was a doeling who always crawled in our laps when she was little.

I'm going to build a disbudding box, too.

Alice

9. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We've banded one because she came to us with one horn. Took her a long time to trust us again, now she is a big baby again. I've learned to disbud and won't go that route again. Disbudding is so much easier on them.

10. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

We take our kids to a wonderful women here who has had goats for 30 years. She charges $5 per head, well worth it to me. Also gives me a chance to talk goat talk with someone face to face who knows what I am talking about LOL

11. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Oh, I know exactly how that is! We banded some scurs earlier this year, (not even full horns!) anyway, one of our doelings took it particularly hard and one day that thing came off, and "oh no!" is what it was! She went screaming across the pasture and wouldn't come back to the barn for DAYS - not even to eat! I disbud anyway, but after that I started holding the iron on for longer so I didn't have another one of those episodes! It did work though! Kristin

12. Rose

Rose New Member

She did eat a corn chip from my hand today, so maybe I haven't totally ruined our relationship! :D

13. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

That's cute. I had an Alpine doe that loved Fritos corn chips.

14. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Two of my Nubian's will take a fence down for corn chips.
    Clay

15. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I banded some scurs on a doe and buck a year ago. Towards the end they didn't even want to eat or get near the other goats for fear their head would get bumped. It was very sad. Took them a long while to get their confidence back up and find their place in the pecking order once more...Definitely better to disbud more aggressively in the beginning....