Easy Keepers?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Sep 2, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I'm new and I hope this hasn't been talked to death (I didn't see this on the search I did) I have nigerian and Lamancha and mixed breed (mostly Nigerian) I would like to concentrate on 1 breed. I'm just curious about your thoughts on resale value and the ease of care, etc for each of these breeds. I have no pb nigerian does and only 1 pb nigerian buck. Also just 1 pb LM doe and 1 buck.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

In my opinion in the location we are at at I would go with your PB LaMancha's and sell as milkers. We have too many well know old time ND breeders here to be able to make a name for ourselves with them. Just my opinion. Now that being said the ND are by far take less feed.

3. doublebowgoats

Thanks, Sondra! That's just the kind of info I was looking for!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You see all around you and me we have big time ND breeders that win in the ring all the time and we starting out just can't compete unless we would ship in new stock from other areas and then they probably started out from these breeders anyway.

5. doublebowgoats

And I've noticed lots of registered ,well- cared for ND's going for $45.

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

There's a lot of really nice La Manchas in this area too. I say go with what you like :). I like both La Manchas & Nigerians so that's what I have.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yeh and Pam is one that can go to all the shows and win :) You won't find her goats going for $45 in fact you won't find even my cull Mini LaMancha's going for $45

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

$45 :??? .....It might get you a ticket in the front gate to look at mine, and sample some cheese....but that's about it.

I personally like the hardiness of ND's. With the exception of keeping those birth weights down for easy delivery, I have had few troubles with mine. I've had no troubles selling mine, but I'm in an area that ND's are still kinda rare in, and many are buying them because they are something new. This is NUBI country down here. :crazy

Whim

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Whim be sure and give your girls BoSE and your Buck also 30 days prior to breeding think you will see smaller babies

10. doublebowgoats

Thanks for all the input! I really like both breeds but it seems the ND are healthier (but mine aren't purebred) but it's sure nice to milk one goat and get a gallon or more at a time!
    Curious-How does BoSe help with big babies? One of my FF last year(80lbs) had 5lb twin bucks which seemed big.She did fine luckily.

11. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

If you like LM and ND why not go with Mini Manchas?? Just a thought! I have 2 LM, 1 Nub, 1 LM/Nub and a MM and the Mini Mancha has so much personality! She is 2nd in command (behind the LM/Nub)

12. doublebowgoats

That would be the best of both worlds, wouldn't it? It's certainly a possibility.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep and the MM are the best of both worlds
    Michelle we are just now setting up a Mini LaMancha Breeders Association right here on DGI and both Theresa and I am right near you to help. you already have the PB ND Buck and the PB LaMancha Doe so go for it. some of my mini's produce a 3/4 to a gal a day. You need to come over and take a look at them

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Bo-Se gives the doe a better ovulation which results in more triplets and quads concieved which means lower birthweights which = easier birthing.
    You'll see a lot more triplets in your FF if you get your selenium boosted which is why you use Bo-Se.

15. doublebowgoats

Thanks Emily for the info on BoSe.
    Sondra, that association sounds neat. (And I'd love to see your goats!)