Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

1,197 Posts
I've had a few Alpine kids through the years that had these same drooping ears. I fix them up with cardboard and tape just like I do the Nubian ears. Just a few days with some "splinting" and they will stand right up. It has to be taken care of as newborns, before they "set" this way.

1,197 Posts
Yep, just seems like in some, those ear ligaments are weak at birth, the splinting helps them to strengthen. I've never had any that revert back.

1,197 Posts
Forgot to mention. When using cardboard, I keep toilet paper rolls around for this. Just split the roll, cut a section of it out, roll it back up, however small you need it to fit in the ear. I use masking tape and put plenty on it, making sure some of the tape holds by the hair on the bottom of the ear and the ear tip. Sometimes, if the ear just wants to flop out there flat, but will stand erect from the head, I just fold the ear together and tape it. BTW, when putting the cardboard roll in the ear, don't put it much past the opening of the ear, just enough to make it stiff at the base.

1,197 Posts
I really think it's a random thing. Just make sure you take care of any ear problem as soon as the kid is dry enough for the tape to adhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.