Early necropsy results

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

The vet called today to say that there was NOTHING on the necropsy that jumped out at him. He did mention some "irritation" that he saw in the stomach and part of the intestine but that none of that was the cause of death. He went on to say, though, that there were several "areas of interest" that made him go "hmmm" and he sent those samples off for study to see if they aligned with his ideas. That was all he said, he wouldnt (or couldnt) be more clear, just said that he woudl get back to us as soon as he had the information.

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Good Grief! it's like hurry up and wait! I am so sorry about your doe and want you to know that I feel your pain. I couldn't stop crying earlier long enough to tell you. It really has been a crappy beginning of the year, and I am so sorry for your loss... and I sure hope you find out something relevant from your vet!

3. Qvrfullmidwife

me too...and the air of mystery is driving me crazy--along with our second loss today I am jumping everytime anyone eeven LOOKS like they are going to say "boo!"

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Is he doing any toxic tests on her and possibly the other doe also??

5. Qvrfullmidwife

I do not know exactly what he is doing. I do know from our reading of goat medicine yesterday that a lot of the toxicology/poisoning tests arent of much value after death, we discussed it when we were exploring options.
    The doe today...well, it all happened so fast and seemed so obviously (to us at the time) to be choking that we didnt consider it. Plus, to be blunt, we are broke...the necropsy from last night's doe will have to go on credit cards.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""""toxicology/poisoning tests arent of much value after death,"""" LA

I never heard that one before....but maybe with goats, things are just different.
    We used to do/have toxic test done on dogs that we suspected was poisoned, or that there was no other reasons found for sudden death. I can't remember which were the samples of all the tissues to send off, but think there was about 5 ......including liver, lung, brain, kidney ........

Again, so sorry about this bad run of events, Whim

7. eliya

eliya New Member

I know what you mean... We had a similar thing last fall - a couple goats that seemed fine just dropped dead. Finally we took one to the vet. Necropsy showed nothing. Sent samples to the lab - nothing! $200+ to tell me "I don't know"?!?!?!?!?!?! I already KNEW THAT!!!!!!!! Oh well, at least it eliminated a bunch of things. Hope your results come back with come conclusive evidence!

8. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Whim the one test in particular that we talked about was for organophosphate poisoning, from fertilizers.

Yeah, it was haard to say do the necropsy because the last animal that we lost we had necropsied and 225 dollars later we knew NOTHING except that we probably hadnt needed to copper bolus when we did. Expensive way to get that tidbit of info...would have been nice to also find out what happened to the animal, you think? BUt we couldnt NOT try to find out what happened, tho the vet said that it didnt look like anything that woudl be herdwide, but also the vet was frustrated and HE wants to know as well.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well, this whole thing is just sad.....and I didn't sleep well last night racking this through my head. I have seen phosphate poisining in dogs before, and it was what first came to mind after the high counts of calcium came back like it did. The shaking, the muscles twitching, and then loss of control of any movement at the later stages made me wonder. I don't remember if the dogs that got into to it, temps went down, or heart rate either. I do remember that in a couple of cases....that the length of life after being poisoned with this stuff is very dependant on the size of the animal, and how much they had eaten. Some would live a few hours with a cruel death.....some would only live for minutes. We managed to save a few of them.....but death was most often the case.
    A product called Timic sp? was found to be the culprit around here.......it is/was used in planting cotton and some other row crops as an insecticide. It was mostly put down in the row with the seeds when they were planted.

Anyway....I sure hope this is over with at your place.

Whim

10. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I have nothing to add except I'm just as confused by this as yall are.

11. Qvrfullmidwife

One of the things is that a classic sign of organophosphate poisoning is pinpoint pupils and hers were dilated big.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Were they in the same pen at the farm before the show?

And did anyone actually see the label of what the vet injected IV into Nyla? Vicki

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Yes, same pen beforehand. All of our milkers are.

Hmmm...I didnt see the label at the show. I was just so freaked when she told me "if your wrong and it isnt hypocalcemia this could kill her right her and now..." then started to inject 90ccIV that I didnt get any further than "uh...that is more than I thought was recommended dose" and at that point she got snippity and stopped and said in disgust "well take her to your vet, then!" and walked off.

14. Qvrfullmidwife

Oh, K just said that although she did not closely examine it, it looked to all appearances like our CMPK at home.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

geeze 90 cc IV is an awful lot it seems but what do I know

16. Katarina

Katarina New Member

That is exactly what I thought!! But like mom said, when we tried to ask her about it she was nasty to us.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

certainly would account for the high calcium reports then, I would think

18. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Well, she only got 20 cc in before we stopped her. That dose IS OK according to all that we read.

Then she got some 24-36 hrs of CMPK as per Sue Reith q2hrs. But the problem was that she was still exhibiting SIGNS of hypocalcemia on that...which is why the high calcium levels were such a shock. She also looked classic ketotic...with no ketones.

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well regardless of the fact that you lost her, it is great that you guys put a stop to that stupid VET down there.

20. Qvrfullmidwife

Oh, and when we first got to our vet's and were telling him what had transpired up to that point I told him about the vet at the show. I didnt mention her by name but he just looked and said "oh...that would be that _______ woman, right?" He knew exactly who we were talking about just by our description of what had happened.