Ear Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I have a Nigerian Dwarf doe who was born very skinny and weak. Her ears drooped down to an airplane-ear like height when she was born. Slowly they are getting a little higher but they're still not erect ears. Will she eventually have erect ears of do I have to do something to help it along??

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

how old is she ? might try taping them up.

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

She's only 3 days old. Born on March 25th. How do I tape them--just splint them up with something and tape around. Or staple it on there like Evil Vicki?? :peepwall (JUST KIDDING!!)

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep probably need splints but also did you give her a shot of BoSe?? Vit E??

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

At 3 days...I wouldn't do anything to them. I've got 6 day old -induced-Togg kids with ears drooped. They kinda' look like german shepard puppies when their ears start standing. :lol They WILL stand on their own. But, do as Sondra suggested...Bo-Se and Vit. E.
    Usually when I have droopy ears, I will give them another shot of Bo-Se/vit.E on day 4 just to hurry the process along.
    Not a panic situation.
    Kaye

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Yep, Alpines do that too sometimes. Just wait a couple of days.

7. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

That's what I was thinking...I'll give her a little BoSe and a Vit E capsule but I'm always very careful with that stuff since we have more than adequate soil selenium here in North Dakota.

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Don't you just love the answers that say.... "Do nothing". :=)

9. Yup, they will go up in a day or two :)
    Becky