E. Coli Vaccine??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Jan 17, 2009.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

On another thread, Kaye mentioned that she gives her newborn kids and E. Coli Vaccine, what is this? This is something that is not in my current regimen. Should I add it in?

Also, is there a preferred brand of CDT Vaccine?

Thanks,

Paula

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I only use it BECAUSE.. 3 yrs. ago I had 2 kids die from a type of scour that I couldn't get stopped. Necropsy showed E. Coli, which stands to reason. We brought in calves from a dairy, had a couple die same way mid winter, in the same house that baby goats are put in in the spring (NOTE: DO NOT PUT CALVES in goat pens!)

Now, just because I refuse to take a chance that it's cleaned up, even after completely stripping the baby goat house and DARING DH to even THINK about putting a calf in my goat pens...I still vaccinate.

I use Bar Guard 99 oral and it's given as soon as I have the kid's mouth cleaned off. I dose it at 1/2 an oral tube per goat. It's an antibody and has to be given before the gut closes, like colostrum. Since starting the vaccine I've not lost another kid to the scours.
    Kaye

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks so much... Now, what about J Vac and E. Coli Mastitis Vaccine? I have been told several folks use this...

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I will never use J-Vac and mastitis vaccine I use is Lysigin. I use Lysigin even with external Staph. outbreaks.
    Kaye

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Outstanding, as I already bought the Lysigin.

Thanks,

Paula