dusty grain mix

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Jan 19, 2009.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i ordered some grain mixed up, mostly oats, some cracked corn and boss. got 1000# of it for a good price. problem is that its mighty dusty. i believe its good grain, so how can i cut the dust? i do add some soymeal as well, but just as a top dressing. or is grain dust nothing to concern myself with?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I myself (since it is already purchased) would add a tablespoon of sunflower or corn or safflower oil to thier feeding and mix it up would cut the dust. Also help with the soy meal.

3. chewie

chewie New Member

ok, i was thinking of that. the elevator asked if i'd like to cut the dust with molasses and i declined that.

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

It might be caused by your corn content, my bags of cracked corn are very dusty when I dump them in my bins.

5. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

I've had problems with dusty feed too. The guys at the grain elevator said that it often happens when the grain is super dry. Instead of just cracking in the machines it disintigrates.

Well, whatever the cause, we added a teaspoon of water to each goats ration and stirred it. They liked it fine that way, but if you add more than that it becomes a gooey mess. The oil works well too, but ours got too solid to dump out of the bottle in this cold. :sigh

Christina

6. chewie

chewie New Member

the mill guy said it was the oats causing the dust??? dont' get that one, i also figured it being the cracked corn. i think i'll try some oil tho., thanks

7. I no longer feed cracked corn because of the dust. I feed rolled corn and I do use Gold Cote Oil by KENT to cut down on the dust.

So far, I like what my grain mix has done for the girls. :)

8. chewie

chewie New Member

maybe next time i can have them add oil when mixing. but for certain, oil and not molasses? i've done enough reading to have heard that will cause rumen issues? right? its so common that its the first thing ppl try to add.

9. I don't add molasses. I just add the oil.

10. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

IMO, if your oats are causing the dust they don't belong in your grain. I pay the bit extra for race horse oats but even the rolled oats weren't dusty at all. You could be getting the fuff from the cleaned oats but unlikely unless you are getting an unbeatable price on it. What % if molasses did they want to mix into your grain mix? Our dairy ration which comes in a pellet has a very small % of molasses to keep the mineral mix to keep everything today. It is not sticky at all nor will it clump together... I would have to take a picture of it to show you. ;)

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We had a custom mix for awhile, and no matter how we tried to get corn in the mix, or BOSS the machine pulvierized it, we had to add oil or we had dust, in fact the first bags we called because we thought they had put soybeam meal into the mix, that is what the dust looked like. Even our BOSS was cracked though. I love flaked corn, but unless you go to a mill we can't get it locally. Vicki

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't have your mill mix in oil or you will have mold later on I would think. or go rancid.

13. chewie

chewie New Member

last night i mixed a very tiny amt of oil into the mix, the girls all gobbled up, so this seems to be a solution. i doubt the mill could even do the racehorse oats, its just an old farmer's mill but the only one around that could mix my grain. others only sell by the ton, or i'd have to get an enormous amt., and simply haven't the storage for that. so i really need to make this work out.

but no, after i thought about it, i think best to mix the oil in myself, for fear of it going bad when the weather gets hot. thanks for the help