Dumb question - Turkey Fryers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terri-Lynn, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

What the heck is a turkey fryer? I have never heard of frying turkeys but if its a good pasteurizer I'll have a look. Anyone have a link to one that they bought or what to look for in a good model for milk use? Thanks

*edited by BlissBerry - title

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Dumb question

MASTERBUILT Stainless Steel 28 Quart Digital Turkey Fryer
    this comes in black also and little less money.
    Linens and Things has it for $99 and if you happen to have a coupon you can get it for $80
    Mine is a Charmglow and doesn't have the spout to drain.
    I found mine on Craigs list for $50 brand new in box.

3. Rence

Rence New Member

Dumber question: you can use a turkey fryer to pasteurize? How does it work? I have a one-gallon pasteurizer, and I might need a bigger one soon. I'd rather get out of paying for a bigger one if I can avoid it....

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I use mine as a water bath pasteurizer - same idea as the Weck canner. They work great. I have several in use.

Sara

5. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

So instead of oil, you put in water and your milk in glass containers? How do you know what temp the milk is?

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I fill the fryer with water. I put my milk in a stainless steel stock pot. Put the glass cover on and insert a probe thermometer into the hole in the lid so it reaches into the milk. Crank the fryer up to high and your milk is done in no time. :D

Sara

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

on mine I turned the thermostat to required temp but did mine to 170 degrees set the timer to tell me when it reached the temp then tested the milk inside to make sure it was at correct temp. I do the same as Sara fill with water and use a stainless steel pot inside the basket that goes with the fryer this way the SS pot doesn't sit right down on the heater.