Dumb Question about Nubian Ear length

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

OK, I've never shown or anything, so don't poke fun. I know that that ears of a nubian are supposed to extend at least one inch beyond the muzzle when held flat against the face. I had always assumed that meant past the end of the mouth. But I've seen pictures of some nubians that have been shown that don't *appear* that their ears would reach that far. Is it just the way the pictures make it look or is the muzzle defined differently? :blush2

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

2 points that's what ears garner.

So all my beautiful ears and heads will only pull me further ahead if the judge appreciates it. With all things equal they will give you the nod, but mostly you are behind those buldging rear udders I do not have, and then they grant to me their Nubian breed character, which chaps me, because you are breeding Nubians aren't you! :)

Plus kids who have these wonderful long ears, especially bucks, do seem to stop growing those ears in comparisson of their heads :)

Warning there is no other starter of a breed war, other than American vs. Purebred, in Nubians! Vicki

3. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I'm with Vicki, I have a terrible fault of looking right past a nubian if they are missing the roman nose and long ears. I have really been looking at different websites and have noticed the loss of ears going on. Very sad in my opinion.

Wendy

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Really? I find quite the opposite; especially with the bloodlines I breed. I love the type of heads we have on our goats, but some prefer a different style. Of course, we have the 'bulging rear udders' too. :)

Sara

5. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

It may be because I have been following this certain line around. Meaning different people who have bought from this line. It just seems (at least on pictures) that the ears are not coming out past the face. Ending more at the muzzle. Again, I will state the stupidity that I'm worried about the 2 points of face and ears, but I love that about nubians.

Sara you do have beautiful goats. In fact, I have been eyeing them.

Wendy

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No, I do agree with you. I also love and admire beautiful heads and ears. Any yes, certain lines do have less ear with more control and straight faces. Thankfully , we don't have that!

Thanks for the nice compliments about my herd. :)

Sara

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Vicki...rumor has it that the breed standards committee or INBA is considering some proposals on Nubian heads...to bring the ear and roman nose back. Any truth to it? Or is that one of those things...if you tell me then you'll have to kill me??

I don't even breed Nubians...but I love to see an EX head with those long flowing-thin- ears and that roman arch! That's a Nubian!
    Kaye

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

All purebred animals are bred to a standard to which points are awarded to various body parts in the show ring. This helps us, as breeders, focus on goals for our breeding program. The thing I have to say for dairy goats is the highest amount of points are awarded for the parts that count the most in the function of the animal. Personally, I focus more on improving the structure of my goats' udders while maintaining dairy character and general appearance. That being said, all my Nubies have Roman noses and pendulous ears. Some have longer ears than others. When it comes to deciding who to keep and who to cull, I focus more on udders with the adults. The babies are the hardest, because it's natural to favor the long ears and I can't let that make me barn blind to the rest of the animal. Kathie

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kaye ask me in Off Topic :) With committee year end reports nearly done, once in their final draft and posted we can then talk away. Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Kathie,
    I can give you point for point what is expected in the showring AND with LA...tell you which judges like the traditional Nubian heads, which don't care, etc...no need to lecture. I was not trying to make a point...just complimenting the breeders that do take breed standards into consideration when breeding.

;) Will do, Vicki.
    Kaye

11. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I think we all try to get good breed character when breeding. Some bloodlines are better than others.
    I have several with lovely heads and ears and some I would like to be better. But, I also want those animals that are built well and have nice udders, too.
    I am always striving to have both.
    By the way congratulations Kaye on your wins.
    Les

12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Ok, I assumed they have to be this length in order to be shown, I figured it was a disqualification. Thanks for the info, very interesting.

13. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Sorry, Ashley. I kind of strayed away from your original ?'s, but no they will not be kicked out of a show for shorter ears.

I do want the whole package, and thankfully have the head that I love. I am striving towards perfection as all good dairy breeders do. As Kaye said though, different judges like different things. IMO, that means that you buy and breed the goats that personally attract you.

Wendy

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Exactly.

Thank you, Leslie. I was quite surprised, what with the quality of the competition. It could have been any one of the does in the line up! Beautiful animals.
    Kaye

15. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

You just can't seem to always get everything you want when breeding dairy goats and that seems especially true with Nubians since that is the breed I have the most experience with. One doe will have beautiful breed character with a lousy udder and another will have a lovely udder and lousy breed character. Which one will you cull? The lousy udder will probably go first. As a breeder you know that it is a lot easier to put ears on a goat than udders. Here at Pruittville we want lovely breed character, yes! But we really look at the whole goat, not just the ears.

16. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Hear, Hear!!! Wow, do I feel you on this one!!

P

17. shawhee

shawhee Member

Sara

You are talking about Shiraz here right? :rofl That may be the different style ! :lol

Shawna

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Ha, ha! :rofl

Shiraz is a LaMancha. ;)

Sara

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:rofl :rofl Well I have a preference on LaMancha ears too. :biggrin

20. I want my does to have those lovely, long forward curving ears, but I agree with Tim. The bad udder gets culled first. Lucky for me, 2 of my does have "those" ears and have an udder (and promise of another) which I can accept and improve upon. And yeah, we are breeding Nubians here.