Dumb horn banding question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I am planning to band that little buck's horns. I'm going to go by the website listed in goat info 101. Will I need an elastrator, or can I just roll the bands down the horn? I've never used bands so I don't know how they are to work with.

Little guy's gotten bigger and it's time for the horns to go bye bye.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No you can just roll the bands down. The problem is they will grow right back, only with flat tops as he gets older. Banding will not destroy the root like disbudding or dehorning does. Once he is about 18 months if you band him then the horns will be gone for good. But there is no reason not to do it now and then again next winter. Vicki

3. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Hi Ashley- we have found that if you shave the horn base and make a cut in the SKIN at the base so you are below the hairline(keep the iodine handy) -the horn base will be killed if the animal is over 6 months old with at least 4 inches of horn. If you look at the illustration on the site that has the photos showing how to do it they show a band on top of the skin. It needs to be that far down but of course they are not telling you that it needs to be cut right there and not above the hairline where it will not bleed. They did not want to show you a bloody head! If you do not go below the horn onto the skin you will have huge skurs.

http://www.greatgoats.com/articles/dehorning.html

It helps alot to twist a wire above the rubber band so that they cannot scratch the band off. They can find just the right way to rub on it to roll it up the horn if you do not have a good cut for the band to sink into do the wire helps with that. Best luck with that project.
    Not Fun!
    Lee Jackson
    New Rocky Comfort Nubians

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

and when it doesnt work (for it doesnt for everyone, we speak from experience) then Texas A&M does a great job of surgical dehorning :lol

5. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

Ashley the big brown lamancha doe that I have had a horn type scur where it was 4 in tall but wasn't a horn. We banded it after we made a notch at the base of the horn( not the skin but where we were going to put the band). When the band started to wear out we put another band on it and when that was wearing out(about 4 months) we put duct tape on it. When the duct tape started to peel(about 2 to 3 weeks) we pulled on the duct tape and the horn type scur came off. The doe went running threw the field with blood coming out of where the scur was(the hole didn't close up all the way it wasn't quite done yet) so we put blood stop and furall on it. She was about 4 months old when we did it(she was a huge kid) and she is almost 4 now and just has a little round scur (too thick to cut off but doesn't grow. she also rubs her head on the walls and keeps it smooth).

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I have a 2nd freshener, Franny, who due to kid in the first part of April. She has big horrible scurs, still has a cold/snots/cough and I am wondering if banding her horrible scurs at this time would be a stressor. I wanted to do it prior to fly season...it will be 80 degrees here tomorrow, I am running out of time.

7. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Well, I'm going to try and get some bands today and we'll see what happens. :D

Diane, I'm no expert, but I sure wouldn't do it, I like to play it safe I guess. I would just wait until fall.