Due date question...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I have a saanen doe that was bred on Sept. 4th, so according to fiasco farm's due date calc. she is due 1/24/08. She will be a FF 2 year old, and about 2-3 weeks ago her bag developed, it went from nothing, to just not quite a handful - you can see it from the back if you look close, but it's nothing like what my Alpine had last year before she kidded. Is she going to be one of those does that doesn't come into milk till she kids ? Also, what should i watch for - i feel her ligs everyday - they are still there, no change. Her rear end doesn't look much different either, not real soft ( but not like a kids either ), and no discharge that i've seen. She does have a dirty tail, but she is white and seems to never have a clean tail either. I'm just getting excited/nervous and need some advice - this will be my first real kidding season - last year i had one doeling born ( bought the doe bred ).

I also have a Alpine due 2/18/08 she will be a FF 2 year old - she was a preccosious (sp?) milker this last summer - she just started producing a little bit of milk out of nowhere, then dried up after a while - and went back to a kid-like udder. She now has had NO udder development yet - is this normal ? Should i be concerned at all ? She is huge, and i've felt her kid(s), easy to tell she is preggo.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If your doe was bred on 9/4, she is due on 2/1 according to my perpetual breeding chart which calculates gestation at 150 days. If you were using the same chart for the Alpine, she would be due 2/26. Some of my does' udders don't really fill up til the day they kid, so I wouldn't be worried about them.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I have a doe in labour right now who as of yesterday had just a handful of udder. No milk, nothing to indicate she was close. She was due on the 18th of this month. This morning she has a full soft udder and is in obvious labour. So some does don't get milk until the same day!
    Other signs of impending kidding is "nesting" and stretching. Definate labour is when the doe humps her rump up high. Its hard to describe, but you'll know it after you've seen it once. ;)

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks guys !

So is the fiasco farms due date calc. not a good one to go by ? Has anybody else used it and has it been accurate ?

5. coso

coso Guest

Fiasco Farm is LaManchas so they are probably figuring it on 145 day basis instead of 150. They may use a 143 day on the website just to kind of cover there butts, to make sure if one would happen to go a little early. I did have a LM go at 143 days one time. But looks like you are dealing with Alpines so I would guess you would need to start watching close from 148 to 153 days. Which would be about January 30 on until you get babies. :biggrin

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Something must have been entered incorrectly on the calendar. I just plugged in 9-4-07 and it came up with a due date of 2-1-08.

I use a gestation wheel that I got from Revival Animal Health.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/70-Breeder-Slide-Chart.aspx

It has lots of good information on it, including gestation for several breeds of animals and their average body temps, etc.

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I use the fiasco farm device and I thought it was 150 days. Then I just subtract 5 days and start watching does from there. For instance. the fiascofarms thing says my first doe is due Feb. 19 so I will start watching her Feb.14.

8. coso

coso Guest

See if I had used my head like Christine and went to the Fiasco Farm site I wouldn't have probably figured and known it was just a typographical error. Thats what I get for figuring :rofl

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I use timeanddate.com I enter the breeding date and add 150 days and, voila, I have my date. No wondering what others have their calculators set for. And also VERY handy for planning the garden :D

http://timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

Christy

10. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

weird, i just went and tried the fiasco farm one again, and it told me she is due 1/31 - the first time i used it it told me 1/24 and i just checked again before i posted this thread and it said 1/24. Interesting. I guess i'll just keep checking her :+)

Thanks !!!

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Could you have had it set on a setting besides kidding? it has a setting for 1 weeks prior to kidding etc.

12. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hmmm... Are you entering the date like it shows in the example? 09/24/07

13. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

i'm pretty sure i entered it 09/04/07

14. coso

coso Guest

I bet you put in one week before kidding that gave me 1/24/08.

15. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Also, if you have Excel and use it to keep records, you can make your own kidding calender. That's what I've done. It's not very hard and you can use the breeding date (or even an observed heat) to calculate all sorts of "dates to" dates. Like when to expect her next heat cycle, when to give vaccinations, when to dry her up, etc. Takes the guesswork out of it.

If anyone is interested, I'll try to explain how, but there isn't any use if no one uses Excel. :)

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Call me old fashioned, but I still use the free calender that I get at the feed store every year.

17. BOth does sound normal to me. Some does develop large udders ahead of time but many FF start with tiny udders that rapidly devlop post kidding.

18. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks everybody ! I feel very lucky to be able to ask you all questions ! I'm a bit more at ease now too :+)

I bet i did have the calendar set for one week ahead... i'm such a nerd

19. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I use feedstore calendars too....with the due dates calculated by fiasco farm :D