Drying up-how long?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have a question, I started drying up my does yesterday. Before I started drying them up they were producing around 2 gallons of milk a day between the three of them. They have been milking since May. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it will take me to get them dried up? I have switched them to dry rations, alfalfa only once a day, and no more milking except if they are bulging. Thanks!

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I would assume it depends on breed and individual goat. I was only milking once a day but my LaManchas still stayed with full looking udders for 4 weeks after I quit milking them altogether.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When 'buldging' you still don't milk out. You just ease some of the milk out so they are less full. Never full to leaking. You can milk a doe indefinetly milking her out even once a week, she simply produces a full udder of milk once a week. :)

No grain, limiting alfalfa if you want, and not milking, no milkstand routine to let their milk down, do teat dip if you ease milk out, is how you dry them up. Vicki

4. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Thanks! Vicki, is it okay to eliminate grain altogether? Maybe this is a newbie question but my does are all less than a month bred and I want them to be getting enough nutrients and protein to grow their babies...don't want any abortions...

I haven't been milking out unless they are leaking. Which one was this morning after only one day of not milking. I was planning on not milking them for 10 days then milking them all the way out and leaving them alone till they freshen. What do you think? Thanks so much!

5. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Not Vicki but...don't milk them unless they are leaking so you don't have "blown orfices" As long as they are getting plenty of forage and hay they should be fine with no alfalfa and some grain. You don't want high amounts of protien right now, the kids are still very tiny and are not putting huge demands on the does. If your girls are in good shape(flesh) then cut out the grain until they are 100 days bred and then start them back slowly on grain.
    I would not do the 10 day thing. I would simply dry them off and leave them and let their body absorb the milk. If you make any demands on them for milk they will keep producing...especially Alpines.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

mine all get alfalfa pellets and grass hay until 100 days bred and then start adding back the grain slowly. I want them to have the alfalfa pellets for balance and calcium.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I just ease out milk from those who are too full. I place my hand behind and under their udder, press up, if it doesn't give I ease some milk out, teat dip and leave them alone. Then when they are no longer needing to be eased, they get milked out, dry cowed if they had a problem at all with their udder that lactaion or a previous one, and left alone until they kid.

You don't come to the milkstand, you don't get grain. Once 100 days bred they start slowly back on grain until the day they kid they are up to their milkstand ration. Grass Hay, browse, alflafa pellets and minerals are a given, bred, milking or not. Vicki