drying up doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by debrad636, Aug 14, 2008.

1. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

I need to know the best way to dry up one of my does. She is a good producing doe, but I lost track of time here, and she will be kidding in less than 2 months. I have stopped milking her in mornings, for last 2 weeks, then I went to every other night, now what?

Please help, Not sure when to totally stop. I feel sorry for her tight udder so tonight I milked a little out, just to relieve her.
    Thanks
    Deb

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

put her out to pasture w/ no grain just alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay and leave her be
    No more milking or even relieving on the stand. If she gets super tight the relieve her out in the pasture on the ground.

3. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

Should I put Today in her teets?
    Deb

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well if you use anything use tomarrow or pirsue (vet RX) but I don't do it unless we have a possible problem or the goat has had a problem before. So ask one of the others on that score.

If I remember correctly believe Vicki says to just release the pressure if need be and then after a week or so of not having to relieve her to go ahead and milk her all the way out and then dry treat her.

5. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

Thanks alot. Just don't want to hurt her nice udder.

Deb

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't let her get hard and tight. but just the idea of getting up on the milk stand will trigger let down of milk. Tis why we just release pressure out in the pasture

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

The last two does I did I followed Vicki's advice: stop milking except to relieve a few squirts every 12 hours or so, on the ground. Be vigilant with the teat dip afterwards. When they get to the point where you haven't had to milk at all for several days...milk out what's left and drytreat and teat dip. I use Tomorrow (today is for lactating does, is not as residual) or Pirsue. I ALWAYS dry-treat as I have had issues with mastitis in the past.