Drying off early to breed at right time??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Nov 18, 2008.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :biggrin
    I was wondering if anyone thinks that drying off early (2-3 months into lactation) will have a negative future affect on milk production?? If I want to get mine bred to the boy I want and at the time I want I'm going to have to dry them off before having them breed (no milking facilities where they are going) :help
    Vanessa

2. FRW

FRW New Member

This has come up on here before so you might even find an old post to review also.
    I have had does kid late, had trips/vacation planned and had to dry them off for one reason or the other after 3 or 4 mths and I do not find that this effects a does will to milk.
    Others may have different opinions. It is best that they are milked a full 10 mths at a minimun or they will become fat which can cause breeding problems. Watch there weight when you do this. There bodies are prepared to milk more than a few mths .

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If your does are not first fresheners and previously were milked for a longer period of time, it should not affect their future length of lactation, though they may be hard to dry off that early in lactation. I would hesitate to dry off yearling FF's that soon, because from what I've heard along with personal experience, it could affect a doe's lactation. One of my does, a Snubian whose Saanen dam had a long lactation had twins as a yearling. I allowed her to raise her kids and didn't milk her out regularly as the kids were healthy eaters. When the kids were about four months old, I separted them from her and discovered that she had weaned them and was almost dried up. She has never had the length of lactation I would expect from a doe of her breeding. She is now four years old. Milks over a gallon a day the first few months fresh. She's now 8 months fresh, bred in late Sept. and only giving about 1-2 cups of milk a day. I believe this is due to the lactation curve she established as a yearling. Kathie

4. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I just don't know......most of mine are not FF but I do have a couple of FF 2yos would this affect them the same?? I'm going to have to make up my mind soon :(
    Vanessa