drying off doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mpete, May 21, 2008.

1. mpete

mpete New Member

How do you recommend to do this... I have sold a grade doe and the new owners don't want the milk. I have begun to not milk her out all the way. I have been carefully watching her to make sure she does not get too full, checking to make sure her udder is not hot, cut back on the grain. Am I doing it right? How long does it take?

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

IMHO I think it depends on how much milk the goat is giving. For instance my Alpines are heavy milkers. No way can I just stop milking. If I did I would blow teats on these girls. What I do on a heavy milker is go to once a day milking, then every other day, then every 2-3 days. Allowing the udder to get tight, but not strut the teat. If it needs to be relieved a little I take out a cup or 2. Eventually after 2-3 weeks I will milk her out all the way and see how she fills back up. If she is full again the next day then I keep doing the step down method on her. If she doesn't have much in her udder I leave her alone until she looks tight again and then only relieve her. I know this takes a while, but this is the way I have to do it on my heavy milkers if I want to save the udder. If you have a goat that is not a heavy producer then it won't take as long to dry her off. I would stop giving her the grain and only give her a decreased amount of alfalfa pellets and 24/7 grass hay. Eventually you can just stop milking after the udder quits becoming tight and full. On the last milking I infuse both sides of the udder with a tube of tomorrow and leave it in there.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Why in the world would someone want to buy a "dairy" goat and not want the milk??
    I have had people ask me about buying goats, but they're not ready to milk 'em "quite yet".. :really I'll tell 'em that they probably aren't quite ready to buy a milk goat then. :sigh :soap
    But I'd do what Chris said..

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

When I dry off a doe I do as Vicki has said
    cut all grain and never milk them on the stand again. If you have to relieve them then do it tied to a fence and just squirt out enough that they aren't engorged on to the ground. If you milk once a day then you have a once a day milker, if you milk every third day then you have an every third day milker.

5. mpete

mpete New Member

They pretty much want her as a pet, and there's a bunch of black berry bushes in the back yard that the doe will love. They like the fact that she is negative tested so if they decide to get another goat then they are starting with a clean herd. Do I still check to see if her udder is hot if I can tell she isn't full from a distance? She doesn't like the fence method... just tried it, but she'll learn. Thanks guys....

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What Sondra has shared is fine if she is milking a quart or so a milking...what Chris has said is really important if she is a good milker. Vicki