drying off doe... a few questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by menagerie, Dec 19, 2007.

1. menagerie

menagerie New Member

:help

the time has come to dry off my faithful milker, Pearl.
    she is a nice big La Mancha, NOT preg, that has milked a consistent 2 QTS since we switched her to OAD milking 3 months ago. i thought she would taper off, but...

being as this is my first go at this, i hope you can help me with some questions.

i know there is a couple of ways people dry off there does... any input on what has the best results? i am terrified of her getting mastitis!

also... i know this must be a silly question, but here goes. as we're in the drying off process - is her milk still ok to drink??

and finally, i've read to cut back on the amount of feed she is getting, but will she still out on weight if i cut her rations?

so, that's it. sorry if i'm the only person that doesn't know the answers to this.
    any help is appreciated!

thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Stop milking. No more trips to the milkstand for grain, period. Trips to the milkstand, the music playing, seeing you, coming for grain, all start the milk let down you do not want her to have anymore. Every day go out and bump her udder. Place your hand flat and press up into her udder from behind. IF it gives leave her alone. If it feels to firm to you, squat down, easy out some milk evenly, don't massage, and pre wash, just milk some out, onto the ground or into a container, just no milkstand routine. Do teat dip afterward and make her stand there for a few minutes to let the orifice close. I clip mine to staples (U nails :) in the barn with double end snaps and milk them out onto the ground of the weather is nice, into a measuring cup with a handle to hold it if it's in the barn. I teat dip afterward. Maybe 1/2 cup, maybe 1/4 cup, maybe 1 cup at the most milked out. In a week or so you will notice she is not making more milk and is actually absorbing the milk she has in her udder. You haven't had to ease milk out of her in many days. I then milk them out completely, dry cow infuse anyone with problems and teat dip, leave them alone until they freshen.

Never should she be soo full she leaks milk. Vicki

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Oh My gosh! My favorite milker is also a La Mancha named Pearl.....who's been a challenge to dry off :). I finally got her dry as of Dec 10. It was very very hard to get past her pleading to go to the milk stand & to give her Coastal Bermuda instead of Alfalfa....with her looking at me with those big sad eyes.Once I quit giving her grain & alfalfa, she dried up fairly easily......it was just hard to do!

4. Well,

As most have guessed I have a very orderly way of drying off a doe. I first mark her as a dry doe, that way its done before anything goes in her. Then milk her out, then teat dip her. Wait about a minute or so, then wipe the dip off of one teat with a paper towel. Strip her completely out of milk in that half. While the last strip I hold the teat end with the end just between my thumb and forefinger. Making sure I have a clear view of the teat end. Then I have paper towel cut in half soaking in alcohol and take one out and SCRUB that teat end...I end up getting alcohol on my finger and everywhere. I use the towel since those little wipe things are NEVER big enough for me. After I get it all nice and clean, I take the dry tube out and pop the very end off. I clean that with alcohol also, insert and push the plunger in taking about 5 seconds, making sure that none is coming back out. After that...comes another alcohol towel and I scrub everything again. Then dip that teat again. Same Process for the other side. Throw out the the tubes and that...then post dip her again. Let one side out and then go back to her and post dip her again,then let that side out. Take her to the dry pen and she is done till she freshen again.

Many people talk about the amount of teat dip that I use when I dry one off. But, when I was managing a 750 cow milking dairy. I figured a gallon of teat dip was ALOT cheaper then a case of mastisis.

Ken in MI

5. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Why do you want to dry off a non pregnant doe?

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I was drying off my Pearl as she's pregnant & due in Feb. In the past I've dried off a few who weren't pregnant, when I was going out of town for a show & had someone else caring for my animals....it's so much easier to ask someone to feed then it is to ask them to feed & to milk :).

7. menagerie

menagerie New Member

thank you ALL so much for sharing your time and knowledge. what i would if left on my own, i have no idea!

well, she's been in milk since last march. i thought giving her a break would be the right thing to do? i dread the thought of not having the milk, would she be ok to go ahead and milk through?

i planned on having her bred, but i could never find the right buck around here, or anyone who offered AI services to goats. so, if it's not too late, i've decided to just cross her with a meat-type buck (which we have in abundance around here!)

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

You can keep milking her through (unbred). We millked Clover, our doe for 18 months...she's bred now and her milk production is going down. I wouldn't have bred her this year either but I (duh!) sold her only daughter! So, I wanted to breed her and hoping for another doeling! She was a very consistent milker the whole 18 months. I am very pleased with her production.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Milk her or dry her up, it's up to you. She doesn't need an exteneded dry period unless you simply dont' want to milk. Extended dry periods are not a good thing in your goats, they gain fat internally which make them harder to breed and it's when mastitis reeks havoc on the udder. Vicki

10. menagerie

menagerie New Member

thank you so much! i've decided to keep milking her then! :biggrin

i'll definately remember what i've learned for next time though.