Drying Off and Moon Phase

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tricia, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Tricia

Tricia New Member

New moon is tomorrow and the full moon is the 23rd. So I figure I'll start getting ready to dry off in the next couple weeks (move to once-a-day milking and reducing milkstand feed), and then stop milking four or five days after the 23rd. The pregnant does are all hovering beteen 3#-4# a day now. (I've got one yearling ff (April '07) who doesn't seem to know it's winter -- she's milking slightly over 10# a day and will be milking through thank goodness.)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I always bred my rabbits by the moon or the most fertile days which worked great but other than that nada.

3. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Well, this Thursday is the end of this waning phase of the moon. Three days before the last full moon (the 23rd), I moved all the pregnant does to once-a-day milking. Two I'll just keep milking like this until I have pregnancies confirmed. I stopped milking Kay altogether three days into the waning phase: she's been very comfortable, and I've not been tempted to milk her udder. Her sister Meg's milk finally dropped into the 2#-3# range, and I stopped milking her Saturday. I wouldn't call her comfortable or uncomfortable, but she is pretty full, not strutted. She's going to get a "dinner" salad of parsley, sage, and red cabbage (or is red cabbage just used externally by engorged women?) the next couple evenings. A very inconclusive sampling, but I'll continue the next group on the next waning.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

wouldn't use red cabbage as is to gassy for goats you may have a problem with bloat. IMO

5. Tricia

Tricia New Member

We grow a fair bit of cabbage, so all the goats are used to having some every day. I took it out of my milkers' salads (yes, salads on the milkstand in the AM) because visiting childbirth educator told me that red cabbage is used to knock back breast engorgement. Moderation is the key I think with all novel foods.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah that is good to know Tricia I just have always stayed away form cabbage especially for myself so of course my goats and rabbits.