Drying Off and Moon Phase

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tricia, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Tricia

Tricia New Member

On Yahoo's organic dairying forum, a vet was commenting on his practice of dehorning cows in the waning moon phase as a way of cutting back bleeding. (Really interesting thread about the pros and cons of a horned herd.)

Is anyone familiar or know anything about benefit of trying to dry off during the waning phase?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3. I do know if you wean at that time...they will not bawl their heads off. We learned that one years ago. Also they will eat more during certain phases of the moon. I think its interesting to say the least.

Ken in MI

4. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Really??? I always thought that was a bunch of baloney...anyone else notice real changes with the moon phases? I guess I'm just not that observant!

5. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

My dad always followed the "moon" thing, swore by it. Planted garden by it, harvested garden by it, my brothers and dad had a few cows,(not long because of my dads cancer) and sheep. They all swore by it. I am going to pay more attention to it. Carolyn

6. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy New Member

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well, I'm one that believes there is a connection with moon phases and animals and us.......but I have also found that local weather can be a bigger influence on "animal" actions or reactions.
    I wean when it's time to wean....dehorn when it's time to dehorn....plant when the ground has enough moisture in it, and the ground is warm enough. Breed doe's when they are in heat.

As there is a "harmony" thing at work on earth, I find it lacking to be just following any one thing that is a small part of it.
    I think you will find that moon phases play a bigger role with animals that are out in the wild, and a lesser role with animals who are kept in captivity.
    JMO.....Whim.

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I know the Amish will only geld horses according to the moon phase . I will have to ask them about other things they do by the moon.

Patty

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

When I raised rabbits I always bred by the moon phases. and worming also now I am not an astrology person at all but there is a homonic rythum thing going on with the tides etc.

10. I noticed that the goats are ornerier when theres been an earthquake, I have checked the USGS eathquake site often because of them. I do know that planting at midnight during a full moon works best. I am not however going out at midnight to plant my veges, to many to plant.

11. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Yep, I have my trusty Farmers Almanac and wean and castrate per the "signs". The kids just seem to handle and weaning and castrating better.

Leslie

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

When I garden by the moon, it seems that the rains falls appropriately on the seedlings or it is cloudy on the days they first emerge, things go right for them. When i worked labor and delivery at the hospital, all us nurses swore that the moon influenced the birth of babies. So why wouldn't it influence other things? it sure influences tides and such...the moon is powerful.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Ok...this from a pratical, show-me, person....but, we used to keep up with the signs in the vet clinics, just for fun and we came to the conclusion, that when the signs were below the thighs, sugeries were not as bloody. And much more blood when the signs were in the heart! Not scientific or anything...but just months of observation. We had to do surgeries when the clients wanted them...but we did start taking extra precautions with "heart" days.
    :blush Even now, if it's an elective surgery here...disbudding, cutting scurs, ect...I wait until the signs are in the feet. Less blood loss.
    Kaye

14. menagerie

menagerie New Member

my opinion has always been... if the moon can move the ocean, it HAS to have some "pull" on people and animals.

also, have ya'll heard (or can you confirm) that when you dig a whole in a full moon cycle, that there will be "too much" dirt to fit back in... and during a new moon, "not enough" dirt???

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Well...no, but I guess anything is possible. In my wet sticky dirt, that could be a good thing! Now, if I can just convince the does to dig their holes by the signs...I got it made filling them back up.
    Kaye

16. Josie

Josie New Member

Where do you find this? I saw the link to the farmer's almanac page, but didn't see anything about signs and body parts?? You've really piqued my curiousity!!

17. Josie

Josie New Member

awesome, thanks you guys!! I've never seen this stuff before, fascinating!

18. coso

coso Guest

I'll have to admit this intrigues me. But I've never tried it. Usually just do what I need to do when I can find time to do it.